Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round over cast iron?

A file and a sander will do the job putting a small round-over on that edge fairly quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think you've caught the drift. Cast iron is much more malleable than one might think. A file will cut easily and be controllable.
    CAST IRON IS NOT MALLABLE. there are some expensive ones that are slightly malleable. Any cast iron used in a wood shop should be treated as totally rigid and never try to bend it or pound it to shape it. Glass is far more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    CAST IRON IS NOT MALLABLE. there are some expensive ones that are slightly malleable. Any cast iron used in a wood shop should be treated as totally rigid and never try to bend it or pound it to shape it. Glass is far more flexible.
    I don't he was using "malleable" in the metallurgical sense.

Did it with an old 3/8" router bit in a few passes. Worked well. Thanks, y'all..........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Did it with an old 3/8" router bit in a few passes. Worked well. Thanks, y'all..........
    Could not help but think of a quote I see posted so many times...

”No picture? It didn’t happen!”
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I was worried someone in the future might find this link and think he meant it could be cold forged like steel. I have never heard it used in any meaning other then it can be bent by force. Like public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have never heard it used in any meaning other then it can be bent by force. Like public opinion.
    I'm no metallurgist, but I hadn't either Bill.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have c-clamps made of malleable iron. I think what they mean is that it will bend pretty far before it breaks. Something about the grain structure and particles of carbon (graphite?) in the matrix, maybe...?

I think the old threaded sewer coupling some were just regular cast iron some are malleable iron. The cast iron ones break with a sledge hammer. the malleable have to be cut apart to replumb.
    I have no idea where meehanite castings fit in.
    Bill D.

HSS drill bits cut into cast iron pretty easily.... may not need to use a carbide bit if you already have hss on hand? Just a thought....

good luck,
    JeffD

Impressive!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Thanks Johnny, sorry Bill, I probably should have said “softer than you think”.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Back in the day, I was taught to never, never, never use oil when cutting cast iron. Something about making it hard. I've never done it and cast iron always drilled great for me. +1 about dialing the speed down as far as you can and doing light cuts with carbide tooling. The tool shouldn't catch. Cast iron just sort of turns to powder when it cuts.

But do consider taking measures to control the dust. It can get into things and it wouldn't be too good for bearings and stuff. Try to connect a shop vac to the router.

Files had always seemed kinda useless till I discovered a coarse file.