Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaper head on table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I’ve thought about trying one on my Uni-Point radial saw.
    I used an 8" on my OMGA for a cove moulding. Worked better than a table saw. Made a box that the blade dropped in to so I could push it through with no worries. Would do it again if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Has anybody tried this with good results? In reality I would need about a 12inch shaper head with a one and a quarter inch bore. I’m OK with The fence being considered the table top... I want to make my tablesaw into a tilting shaper.

Do you think the surface speed would be too slow 3600 RPM?
    I wish I had thought of that the other day. I had to make some reproduction raised panels but the cutter I had was too steep of an angle, and no tilt shaper, so I made a fence/table for the shaper that took out 3 degrees. Saw would have been faster. Hmmm.....

I think my bearings can handle it. They’re not the typical motor bearings. Here is a comparison between my bearings and a typical Baldor motor

FEAEEEDE-F126-484B-9164-FA351EB186B7.jpgE7C2891B-957D-4C5F-882E-6173A8D387DA.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 10-20-2018 at 9:35 AM.

If you look at a typical cutter speed chart at 3600 rpm you can run anything from about 220mm diameter and up.
    with shaper cutters best to run at about 1000 rpm below the max and as long as you are above minimum speed kickback chance is reduced.

84F8177F-E99C-451A-ABE4-13109D7E1FF3.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 10-20-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Joe! I think you’ve given me enough info to give it a shot.

https://ballewsaw.com/114head.html
    Per Van's comment above, the Magic Molder is 7" diameter. Lots of profiles available!

I can't imagine what Rangate or Schmidt would charge for a 12" head....

I wonder if 7" is the cutter body or with the plugs. That would just work on my saw but might not on Matt's because of the direct drive.
    Does anyone know if the old LRH plugs work on the newer heads? They look the same in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I wonder if 7" is the cutter body or with the plugs. That would just work on my saw but might not on Matt's because of the direct drive.
    Does anyone know if the old LRH plugs work on the newer heads? They look the same in the pictures.
    Joe, you got it. When the motor bumps the bottom of the table with an 18 inch blade, I’m getting 5 inch depth of cut. A 10” dia would be min.

HI Matt, like Joe says adjustable groovers are often used on a bench saw heavy enough for the tooling. I have a 12" diameter, Aluminum head, 1 1/4" bore rebate block you could try if you wanted. RPM is right, chip limiting etc. One option would be a HSS limiter tenon disc. Gives you unlimited profile options and I'm sure you could grind the knives yourself with your skilset. It would also be MAN rated and chip limiting so much safer than the above!

B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 10-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    HI Matt, like Joe says adjustable groovers are often used on a bench saw heavy enough for the tooling. I have a 12" diameter, Aluminum head, 1 1/4" bore rebate block you could try if you wanted. RPM is right, chip limiting etc. One option would be a HSS limiter tenon disc. Gives you unlimited profile options and I'm sure you could grind the knives yourself with your skilset.

http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catal...?cid=2&c2id=28

B
    That’s the head I was thinking of trying on my Uni-Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    That’s the head I was thinking of trying on my Uni-Point.
    Let me look into that for you Mike. Even though it's chip limiting, climb cutting on a RAS might benefit from a different rake angle than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    HI Matt, like Joe says adjustable groovers are often used on a bench saw heavy enough for the tooling. I have a 12" diameter, Aluminum head, 1 1/4" bore rebate block you could try if you wanted. RPM is right, chip limiting etc. One option would be a HSS limiter tenon disc. Gives you unlimited profile options and I'm sure you could grind the knives yourself with your skilset. It would also be MAN rated and chip limiting so much safer than the above!

http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catal...?cid=2&c2id=28

B
    Brent, they have a beautiful selection. I’m going to check with them to see if they will do a modified for dual purpose 24 mm pin inserts as well. This would be the cats ass of tooling. Thank you for the link.

Thank you for touching base with me personally today. Your phone call was well received and highly appreciated!

Brents phone call to me was he will bring his White Hill..specialized custom head and let me set up. Brent you are a gentleman! One Wadkin nut to another...you are awesome! Thanks!
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 10-21-2018 at 1:11 AM.

Hey MM, good to talk yesterday, these little side projects are fun! A fully custom, large diameter head to accept the standard 40mm knives might be expensive but would be very versatile, and knives could be acquired just down the 401 from you. The existing, off the shelf tenon heads of course would work and be cheaper to buy, but the knives are less universal. Though with your skilset you could just buy a mitt full of blanks and grind them as you need em'.

I'm wondering if there's a way you could rig up a ZCI on the PK?

B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 10-21-2018 at 4:06 PM.

Matt, will put a power feeder on the saw to stabilize the chatter? Dave

We talked a bit about that yesterday, and yes, a powerfeed unit would be great, or if not, multiple, strong, featherboard-style hold downs.