Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaper head on table saw

Shaper head on table saw

Has anybody tried this with good results? In reality I would need about a 12inch shaper head with a one and a quarter inch bore. I’m OK with The fence being considered the table top... I want to make my tablesaw into a tilting shaper.

Do you think the surface speed would be too slow 3600 RPM?

I’ve thought about trying one on my Uni-Point radial saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I’ve thought about trying one on my Uni-Point radial saw.
    Interesting. That would be 180° application...

They used to sell a thing for use on table saws that came with screw-on cutters. I think they were sold by Sears. I've had
    people try to give them to me at yard sales. I'm sure they were no larger than 8 inch diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    They used to sell a thing for use on table saws that came with screw-on cutters. I think they were sold by Sears. I've had
    people try to give them to me at yard sales. I'm sure they were no larger than 8 inch diameter.
    Thanks.... are you contributing to the wobel dato??? Lol

shaper heads on table saws or RAS. Out of purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    peter, is 12” available?

The sears things are junk, I likely have five or six different ones and also bored for the shaper. Probably 100's of cutters as well. THey work better on a shaper than a table saw, more pounding on the table saw. Ive used them when I had to.

Not sure you can put a head that large on but then ive thought about a 9" one with corrugated to do haunching get the bevel and some amount of clear out. THere is a US company that makes them but doubt they were larger than 6 of 7 think even less than that, I cant remember the name right now but do have info and have talked to them. Asked a company up here thats made me a head before and they were not interested didnt like the concept. Id think a schidmt coping plate might work for you. Do you have something in particular you are trying to do, likely Joe has done this before on his nice slider.

Seems somewhat suicidal to me. Do some calculations first. Tip speed, extra load on the bearings, etc. There are generally good reasons why a shaper is configured differently to a saw and turning one machine into another should not be undertaken lightly. Also take into account the different position of the operator in relation to the cutter. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    peter, is 12” available?
    That is a Magic Moulder and they are 7" diameter.

I can't really envision 12" shaper tooling on a TS, even with a 1" arbor. Tooling that big is usually reserved for the beefiest of shapers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think Matt is talking about his Wadkin PK which is built like a heavy shaper and has a long enough arbor to accept the width. Dave

I wonder whether I could use a shaper head on a radial arm saw (with the guard removed, of course) to trim down a brass car key...

A nice feature of the older Martin saws is the ability to run shaper heads. A 30mm or 1 1/4 arbor and multi speeds make this possible. On my 20 year old T72 you have to remove a spacer and pins from the arbor and make a custom insert plate to use shaper cutters up to 1 1/4” wide. The older saws could go even wider. Speed range is 2800, 4000 and 5500 rpm that allows running cutters from about 6 1/2” to 14” or more if needed. I have a original Magic Moulder head from LRH and it is only about 5 1/2 diameter and is just shy of reaching the table top.

We mostly use a 250mm adjustable groover in the saw for cuts not possible on the shaper. Grooves across the grain in solids and sheet goods, making long tenons not possible on the shaper and tilting to make Vgrooves in door panels. We used to do this on a table saw with one of those Sears heads and that is marginal.

Peter G uses his old T75 with a tenon head that takes corrugated knives. Like to see more pictures of that. The newer Martins cannot take much of a dado or shaper head. I think the worry is the electronic brakes and probably safety. My saw has pins but have never experienced any problem with the braking or cutter coming loose without the pins.
    CCD7A1F6-FC82-432F-913B-01A9D4F0DAC0.jpg
    7CBB361A-0162-4068-AB1C-6CF2F76A07C8.jpg
    71E3C164-2466-4553-8525-ADC0B87C4B7C.jpg
    761BDDDD-D87F-428C-A8D1-4EA65E2E292C.jpg
    594C7378-4714-430C-B114-B97268180EE8.jpg
    32FCD8CE-EA02-43E1-938C-E61D86AF1D4F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think Matt is talking about his Wadkin PK which is built like a heavy shaper and has a long enough arbor to accept the width. Dave
    He buried the lead... and results in a completely different conversation.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have on occasion run shaper heads on my SCMI using the dado setup with its 1 1/4" shaft. Never been an issue for me but I do not run the ten pound heads on it either. Its great when you want to run a slot in something that the shaper can not reach. I use an 8" aluminum adjustable slotting cutter instead of a dado blade for example. Light weight and little stress on the saw.

Oh, I see Joe already covered this. And he has pictures! Joe for the win......
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 10-20-2018 at 9:08 AM.