Thread: Magnetic tool storage? What should I avoid magnetizing?

Magnetic tool storage? What should I avoid magnetizing?

I'm thinking of organizing my hand tools in a rack/till over my workbench.

Some things I am thinking of just using rare earth magnets to hold up::. Japanese saws. Some carving knives. Marking knives.

Others, I am thinking of magnet + holder:
    Chisels. Eggbeater drills. Maybe a block plane

Are there things I should avoid magnetizing?

Here in earthquake country, I like the idea of magnets as extra insurance.

Just to clarify:

Magnet + holder = slotted/fitted tool holder with a magnet backing.

Sorta like Derek Cohen's rack, but with magnets

Blog Entries
    Planes might become magnetized and then pick up iron filings which could mark your work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I avoid any possibility’s of magnetizing tools. Magnetic swarf from sharpening would be nasty during plane use.

I also never liked it when tools got magnetized. I never liked it when they would pick up stray bits and particles of metal. If you are worried about earthquakes, you can probably devise catches or latches to retain the tools. I have some where I have mounted tools on cabinet doors.

May the Swarf be With You!

I've got my chisels on magnetic holders. I've mentioned before that sometimes the swarf will follow the chisel when sharpening. Since I'm using oil stones everything gets a good wipedown before stropping and again before use. I haven't had a problem with metal hanging on to a tool and causing problems. So far.

-Tom

I personally dislike magnetized tools, except for screwdrivers which I sometimes magnetize on purpose.

Magnetized edged tools are especially annoying when I sharpen with a dry CBN wheel on a Tormak with the wheel rotating away from the edge. Even a lightly magnetized tool collects a black powdered steel tail that obscures the edge. I like to see the edge while sharpening. I don't like magnetized drill bits either.

I use an old bulk magnetic tape eraser from the '70s to demagnetize lathe tools before sharpening. (Any appropriate piece of steel can become lightly magnetized without even coming in contact with a magnet in the shop.)

I haven't seen the Cohen tool rack you mentioned. I've made slotted tool holders with a small lip enough to keep tools from sliding out of the slot.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My marking tools are magnetized over the bench, the others (two places & chisels) are in appropriate holders & racks attached to the wall.

Thanks for the tip!

I never thought that swarf would be an issue, but I don't sharpen or woodwork enough.
    For sharpening, I use ceramic stones with soap and water. I wipe the blades down between stones (toilet paper), and oil afterwards.

I've hung my carving gouges on magnetic strips for well over a year. No issues with the slight magnetism they may pick up. As others have said, it's reversible if it becomes an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    ...As others have said, it's reversible if it becomes an issue for you.
    I may have missed it if someone mentioned it, but you can demagnetize a tool with a strong magnet - I used that method for years. Simply swing the magnet rapidly past the tool repeatedly, starting as close as possible and slowing moving the magnet away. You may have to repeat with the magnet in another orientation.

I also used to use this method to degauss color CRT monitors when they got too close to a speaker magnet or developed a color cast from a magnetic field.

JKJ

I was going to stick my disposable japanese saws on a mag strip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I was going to stick my disposable japanese saws on a mag strip.
    That sounds like it could put a bend in it or catch a tooth if you aren't careful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)