Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you rout brass?

Screw the key to a scrap of wood and go at it with a belt sander. You could rout a pocket as well. It does have a hole for a keyring doesn't it. Just make sure to wear a face shield and orient it so if the sander grabs it it will throw it away from you.
    Bill D.

A nail would work as well as a screw since the head is going to disappear anyway.

It is for a 2019 Subaru Outback; I just want to be able to open the door, not start the car. The smart key is $80 and they don't make a dumb key. At least not one I can find.
    I found a key housing for $9 without the electronics on ebay for a 2018, but no one seems to be able to tell me if the 2018 and 2019 are the same. When I bought the car I got them to throw in an extra smart key; but they haven't been able to get one yet. That makes me think the 2019 is different than the 2018 because they ought to have 2018s.

A file won't work because the part that needs to be reduced it not accessible; well not easily

Sounds like to opposite of a valet key? Might ask around the Outback forums.

Code:
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Sounds like to opposite of a valet key? Might ask around the Outback forums.

Code:
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/
    Did that before this. They don't know.

Blog Entries
    Try fastening the key blank to a piece of metal using CA. To release, use a heat gun to break the bond and then clean up with acetone. W. R. Smith, the clockmaker does this with clock wheels all the time.