Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you rout brass?

Can you rout brass?

I can't find a key blank to fit my car, but found one that might work if it were thinner. I looked at grinding them, but realized I would never get it flat. A milling machine is the right tool, but since I don't have one, perhaps a router table? It is probably impractical in view of the amount of work involved in set up; but would it work in principle?

Use a flat file.

can you? sure...at least try to that is.

I've routed aluminum before to install magnetic locks in doors/jambs...the doors were aluminum clad wood...was very messy and ate up bits real quickly...and of course aluminum is a lot softer than brass.

the problem is the speed of the router...I guess if you had a speed control one it 'might' be viable...follow lots of safety ideas like glasses, keeping the material from flying away, make very shallow passes...etc. I guess...just my 2 cents

I can't think of any safe way to hold a key blank and rout it, but it is possible to rout at least some kinds of brass. I was wondering about it recently when making a kind of banjo tone ring that was new for me, and I had good results using a 1/8" radius roundover bit on 360 brass.
    Zach

Yes you can. But I am a dentist, and use a mini router all the time.

Use carbide bits. High speed rotation. Slow feed should be fine.

For workholding, you can use a pitch lump or clay. Not practical, but possible

A much smarter idea is using a hand file or belt sander. Less likely to fling your blank.

Cutting a car key with a router sounds like a good way to become a celebrity down at the local ER.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Use a flat file.
    +1 Ten times faster, considering all the fixturing and setup needed to use a router, and probably 1000 times safer.

You can’t get a key from the dealership or a locksmith? Seems a lot easier than trying to set it up for the router. But if you have to do it yourself then CA glue it to something you can hold in a vice and hand file it. When done soak it in Acetone to clean it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    You can’t get a key from the dealership or a locksmith? Seems a lot easier than trying to set it up for the router.
    I was thinking the same thing. Wade, I'm just curious - what make/model or year of car are you having trouble getting a key for?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

While most brass machines nicely a key blank is much smaller than I would think about routing unless I was doing it with a Dremel.

I can't believe I am the first to ask but what car can you not get a key blank for?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

There's key blanks for almost any type of car on Fleabay.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Yes, it can be "routed"/milled and many folks with CNC machines use the material for certain things. Best and safest results, however, require excellent workpiece holding and very limited depth of cut per pass with an appropriate end mill. (usually single O flute) Same goes for aluminum and other non-ferous metals.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A minor trim in woodworking is a massive cut in metal working. Metal is fixtured for cutting, not free floating. I would not recommend this.

As Jim mentions, you need a proper end mill. I like using roughing cutters which just shred material.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've fixed a few (poorly-cut) keys with files. Pretty easy to do. If you're just looking to make it thinner, lay it on a piece of rubber or foam on your workbench and have at it with a flat file. Really won't take that long.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

A small block of wood with some sand paper glued to it, place key on diamond plate or abrasive paper and the block of wood on the key and go for it. At least it has a chance to be the same thickness all the way across the blank and you don't have to try and hold a thin key in a vise.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I can't find a key blank to fit my car, but found one that might work if it were thinner. I looked at grinding them, but realized I would never get it flat. A milling machine is the right tool, but since I don't have one, perhaps a router table? It is probably impractical in view of the amount of work involved in set up; but would it work in principle?
    I machine brass (and aluminum, steel, plastic, wood) all the time on my milling machine. A mill is basically a slow-speed router on a very sturdy stand and a table that moves with precision. I use either carbide or HSS end mills. The metal must be held down very well with no chance of movement - double-sided tape or hot-melt glue can work.

If you can hold the piece securely, use the right bits, slow the router down enough and hold it securely, adjust to take off an appropriate amount of metal, and move either the router or metal with precision, it should work fine. Wear safety glasses.

(I assume you know that many keys for "newer" cars today have internal electronics and a metal key alone won't start the ignition. The first one I had like that was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee)

BTW, a key doesn't have to be flat. It has to be thin enough to fit in the slot but still strong enough not to bend, have the right grooves, and have the right shapes cut on the edge(s). If it had to be flat my lock picks wouldn't work.

JKJ