Thread: Veritas MKII Narrow Honing Guide...

Veritas MKII Narrow Honing Guide...

I already had the MKII guide, but hadn't used it much, cuz I've just been using one of the cheap guides for the simplicity. I've been using the same techniques as the Lie Nielsen guy on Youtube...I know...I'm a wimp for not going free hand, but I like the repeatability and simplicity. Anyhow, one day I checked how the guide holds my chisels and man, were they not square to the jig!
    So, I went out and got the Narrow Honing Guide and tried it out. Boy, what a difference! Square and repeatable. I know, I know...learn to do it free hand. But you know what...this works for me, so I'll stick with it and let you pros go free hand.
    By the way, the kit warned about a skewed secondary bevel, but mine was nice and even, so no worries. Only issue I had was when I first started using it, the chisel slipped a bit, so I had to reset it. Once hand tightened, I gave it a just a nudge with pliers. After that, no slip. I read one guy was told to roughen up the contact surface, so I may do that. It would be nice if the tightening knob had a slot for a screw driver.
    I'll probably be using the jig for plane blades as well, since I now know the old one doesn't hold blades at 90*.

I have a full suite of the MK II and it's various attachments. It's a good tool. My narrow honing guide DOES get the skewed secondary bevel that LV warns about, but it's never been a problem.

Glad you like yours!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Not sure why you feel that it's necessary to make excuses for using a honing guide. Why not do what works best for you? You are right about the standard MKII holder. It is a top/bottom clamp rather than a side-holding clamp. With the guides that hold on the sides, the chisel or plane blade is held secure with almost no way to not be held square in the guide. With top/bottom clamps, there is always the possibility that the blade will shift and, even a slight, shift, will throw the primary or secondary bevel off. Lie-Nielsen has a great honing guide; maybe not much different than the cheap guides in design but much better made and more versatile with various optional jaws. Again, though, using a guide is nothing to be concerned about. It works.

Only issue I had was when I first started using it, the chisel slipped a bit, so I had to reset it. Once hand tightened, I gave it a just a nudge with pliers. After that, no slip. I read one guy was told to roughen up the contact surface ...
    Derek, as Randy writes, no need to apologise. There is a time and a place for all tools. Although I prefer to freehand sharpen, I have every honing guide under the sun - because in some instances it makes more sense, such as very narrow chisels and the high micro secondary bevel fir bevel up plane blades. Sometimes I buy one because I just like to fiddle with the little buggers. They are cute machines

I have all the LV sharpening apparel, manly courtesy of Lee Valley for pre-production testing. I really like the Small Blade holder, and wish that there was a Large Blade version as well. Side clamping is quicker and more secure. This clamp is preferable for smaller blades over the original version, however some taller blades may still slip (such as mortice chisels, which are not recommended for his guide). What I did was to glue 400 grit sandpaper to the faces of the holder. This acts as a great non-slip. Recommended upgrade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Once hand tightened, I gave it a just a nudge with pliers. After that, no slip. I read one guy was told to roughen up the contact surface, so I may do that. It would be nice if the tightening knob had a slot for a screw driver.
    Careful use of pliers is my usual method.

Something posted on the internet inspired me to make my own soft grip bolt turner:

Nut Twister.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)