Thread: Baldor grinder

Baldor grinder

I'm looking into getting a good grinder. I've come across a new still factory wrapped Baldor 8100 for $500. Would anyone go for that deal or would getting a Rikon 1/2 hp and some CBN wheels make more sense? You know how we are when it comes to our tools we always want the best even if it doesn't make any sense to spend more that will probably not make that much of a difference.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Mike

I’m one of those people that appreciates quality and will pay more for it. $500 is about half of what that grinder sells for new so in that sense it’s a good deal. Only you can decide if it makes sense to you.

It’s the old Porsche / Yugo debate, both will get you where you want to go.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce.
    Yugo? I would have to disagree with that a little. A Yugo may NOT get you where you want to go.

I would jump on quicker than flies on manure...... The Rikon 1 hp grinder has comparable power, but fit and finish are not nearly as good, and it doesn't run as quiet. The Baldor does have 3/4 inch shafts, so you may need to get different bushings and/or get your wheels drilled out. You will never wear out that Baldor.... I can't even wear one out... It ms far better than a 1/2 hp Rikon.

robo hippy

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    I have an older 8100wd. 3/4 hp, single phase that spins up a pair of 8” CBN wheels with not effort, no vibration, and no noise. You cannot beat the cast iron guards and dust collection. Even though it is a high speed grinder, you get accustomed to using a light touch.

Bruce

I have a couple of 7 inch Baldors. I have not tried a Ricoh, but I would think of one with two CBNs. I have 180 that really goes through metal. I would try a 180 and 4-600.

I have a Baldor (don't recall the model #) with two CBN wheels on it, and really like the setup. If it was me, I'd grab it and not look back......

Speed is fairly important here. You'll need a low speed (1750rpm) grinder to sharpen tools.

RPM shouldn't be an issue. A quick Google says the 8100 spins at 1800 rpm.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Speed is fairly important here. You'll need a low speed (1750rpm) grinder to sharpen tools.
    I use several 1750 rpm grinders but some people have said that the full speed works OK with CBN wheels.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I use several 1750 rpm grinders but some people have said that the full speed works OK with CBN wheels.

JKJ
    Doug Thompson famously uses a 3600 rpm grinder with CBN wheels to put the profiles and finished edges on all the gouges he sell! But he cautions that he's had a lot of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL YASKO View Post
    [snip]You know how we are when it comes to our tools we always want the best even if it doesn't make any sense to spend more that will probably not make that much of a difference.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Mike
    Mike, that's a production grinder, and nobody makes a better one than Baldor! Just knowing you own the best there is can often improve the quality of life.

But IMO it's not going to sharpen your gouges and scrapers any better than a well-balanced hobby model with a pair of CBN wheels.

Doubt this helps you at all with your decision.

Doug Thompson has always used standard wheels for his grinding, and a Dayton grinder I think. Dave Schweitzer uses a 10 inch high speed grinder with a 60 grit CBN wheel. High speed works fine since the CBN wheels are so well balanced, you just have to use a light touch..

robo hippy

I always thought the bigger wheels go on the slower speed units.