Thread: Parika or birch plywood for cabinets

Parika or birch plywood for cabinets

I’m in the process of picking out plywood for garage cabinets. My local plywood place has import parika and birch Is one more suitable than the other. The parika I notice has more open grain so gives off the a less fine sanded look but is much lighter in weight.

does it just come down to preference or any other reason to pick one over the other?
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 10-19-2018 at 1:54 PM.

I'm not familiar with Parika. My concern would be that Parkika is lighter, is it also weaker? And would that matter?

I made the mistake of using some "import" birch plywood in the past year for a shop project and still regret it. It's certainly "strong" enough, but the paper thin veneer and inconsistent thickness (undersize for even normal metric thickness and variable) made for a frustrating project.

That said, like Curt, I've never heard of "parika" so on that alone I'd side with the birch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built the carcass for a 92" long shop sink out of some import Birch plywood from HD. It sat around for a couple of months in the shop while I was busy with other things, and it started to grow mold all over it. Nothing else in there had any mold on it. We took it outside, and burned it.

I picked up the birch which looks nicer but it is import at 32.50 per sheet. I can confirm that veneer is paper thin and I measured the thickness. It is about 19/32 in so looks like I got what I paid for.