Thread: Furniture from Swamp Logs With no Drying?

Furniture from Swamp Logs With no Drying?

I've been watching a "reality" show called Ax Men. One of the characters raises old logs from swamp floors. Recently, I saw an episode where a furniture maker teamed up with him to get wood for a charity project.

They found some wet logs and took them to be milled. Then the woodworker made furniture from them. No drying involved.

Is this possible, or is it just typical reality TV nonsense? I would expect the furniture to twist itself apart.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

It had to have been dried. I don't know how long it takes for given thickness' or specie to run through a kiln, but it's not that long. I'm guessing it just wasn't shown as it is way less interesting than watching the clothes dryer.

Furniture and structures have been built with freshly cut timbers for millennia. It's not like a little movement, shrinkage, and twisting makes the material disappear into another dimension.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Those "reality" shows are getting farther and farther away from the "reality" of the subject. I mean, it's nice they did something for charity- if the charity is real. But, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the log 'found' on the bottom and the furniture shown weren't exactly "related" to one another.
    But I do agree the shows are fun

Rustic furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I've been watching a "reality" show called Ax Men. One of the characters raises old logs from swamp floors. Recently, I saw an episode where a furniture maker teamed up with him to get wood for a charity project.

They found some wet logs and took them to be milled. Then the woodworker made furniture from them. No drying involved.

Is this possible, or is it just typical reality TV nonsense? I would expect the furniture to twist itself apart.
    I already saw furniture made of wet lumber several times but always rustic (or even very rustic) furniture. I guess fine woodworking would be impossible or, at best, extremely difficult, to be done with wet lumber for obvious reasons.

All the best.

Blog Entries
    A lot of those shows compress time so much to get the project done within the shows episode length that a lot of the details get left on the cutting room floor. I'm sure that rough cutting the wood, stacking and stickering it in a kiln, and processing it into usable boards wasn't enough action to make the show.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't know what the show was about or how the furniture would hold up...but years ago I used to get willow out of swamps and make willow rockers/settees /chairs etc. I cut the willow ( your boots are always one inch shorter than the depth of the swamp) and brought it home and kept it under water in tanks. Used it wet, so that when it did dry it cinched /shrunk over the nails that were used to hold it together. No joinery for wet wood. These things last for many many years
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

COME ON NOW PAW PAW! I know you are talking about Shelby Stanga, the lone survivor of Ax Men. Has his own show, Junior, called "The Return of Shelby the Swamp Man! It's a proper Toni Roni event, you just have to watch to understand how they do things down in the bayou. Worth a look, but purely for the entertainment value only.