Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which bandsaw blades

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks, I'll make a note. For now I'm happy with the 1/2" blades I've been using for years. I cut green wood up to 12" thick in the shop, larger wood outside behind the barn on the WoodMizer sawmill.

JKJ
    John, I'm trying to picture how you cut bowl blanks on your WoodMizer. Or is it that you're splitting full rounds into half rounds?

logs sections into turning blanks

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    John, I'm trying to picture how you cut bowl blanks on your WoodMizer. Or is it that you're splitting full rounds into half rounds?
    I made an "L" shaped jig to hold short rounds. (Normally, a log needs to be at least 4' long.) I usually start by cutting a flat on one side then may cut different ways depending on what I want to end up with. When making bowl blanks I usually split into halves and cut out the pith and some flats, then turn the halves over to trim the round off the other side leaving the blank as thick as I can. Then depending, I might turn the piece up on edge (clamped, of course) and flatten both edges. This is how I cut big square blanks for things like vessels. Sometimes I like to cut 2-3" thick mini slabs to dry for a variety of turnings from platters to spindles.

Some pictures from previous sessions:

P2253140sc2.jpg P2253156s2.jpg

sawmill_gordon_jake_2_3_18.jpg blocks_from_sawmill.jpg

The last picture is some ambrosia maple I cut into blanks specifically for a club wood auction. It's nice to cut clean, rectangular blocks for this since people can see all six sides and know what they are getting. I can't believe how much some of these go for. I read once that the value of wood goes up with every process.

A friend is bringing a trailer load on Wednesday. Maybe I can get some better pictures.

I cut most smaller green log sections on the shop bandsaw:

ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_141342_010.jpg processing_wood_.jpg processing_B01.jpg

I usually cut blocks as large as the log section will allow then cut as many smaller spindle blanks as I can get out of the rest - don't waste much.

processing_wood_3.jpg

JKJ

John, Aha! I'd been trying to picture you cutting circles on your sawmill!

Now, if someone could design a jig for that...

4. Okay...I took the leap! After a number of these discussions on bandsaw blades over the years, and Reed Gray saying that the Diemaster 2 blades are the best for making logs into blanks, [and a couple of others as well] I went ahead and ordered them for both my saws.....an 18" Jet and a 14" Grizzly.

I am looking forward to seeing if they do better than the Woodturners Blade from Highland Woodworking.

I got the 4 tpi, 3/8", .035 blades, made with M42 cobalt from Spectrum Supply.

Reed, I'll either have to thank you in the future, or.............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Cutting circles

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    John, Aha! I'd been trying to picture you cutting circles on your sawmill!

Now, if someone could design a jig for that...
    I think I could design a jig - I'd consider an extremely sturdy rotating jig with the piece clamped with hydraulics. But the radius would have to be a pretty big - the blade is wide!

When I cut circles I do it in the shop. Fairly large blanks already cut into cylinders and waxed and ready to turn are among the top sellers at our wood auctions - people can REALLY see better what they are getting! We brought in about $1600 each of the past two years for our turning club. (I'm always asked to be the auctioneer since I'm loud and have no shame and pretend to know a teeny bit about wood...)

bandsaw_blank_IMG_20180312_161447_777.jpg

JKJ