Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly G0868 Jointer

New Grizzly G0868 Jointer

I'm in the market for an 8" jointer and just saw this pop up (available in November) on the Grizzly site. I'm wanting an 8" parallelogram with spiral cutterhead.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0858

I had the G0490X on order since April and they just kept delaying it (plus it has tariffs on it now) so when I saw this my ears (eyes?) perked up. I imagine this is one of the new jointers coming out of their new factories that I've heard about (and not made in China) but information on it is very sparse since it just came out.

Anyone know anything about this machine?

Looks interesting and pretty similar to the G0490X. They're basically the same price, slight differences in number of cutterheads, speed, dimensions and such. What I wonder is where they cut 200lbs weight to make the G0868, and if it leaves the new machine with any difference in build-quality.

My G0490X was ordered on 1/14/18 and finally delivered on 8/31/18...I'd guess you're getting fairly close to getting yours but then again who knows.

For all of my lust for old ARN in the other thread...the G0490 still seems like a heck of a jointer.

I also wonder where they shaved off 200. I think for that reason I would stick with the G0490. I would definitely call Grizzly and see if they know how far out your G0490 is. I have a Shop Fox 1741(retail version of the G0490) and I am very happy with it.

It might be just the picture but the tables and fence look light to me and the most likely place to reduce weight. That would concern me. Dave

It will be delayed just like your G0490...no matter what they tell you.

I cancelled the 0490 order a long time ago because I got tired of waiting on it. they told me one thing and then continually delayed it so it didnt really matter. I finally just bit the bullet and placed an order for the in stock G0495X. I've been waiting on a jointer for the better part of half a year, delaying projects, and now is prime time in Arizona to do work so I need to get out to the garage and start building.

Blog Entries
    The G0490X is based on an old and proven Delta design. Other makers have cloned this as well. The base is not much more than some steel and sheet metal so that weight is in motor, mag switch maybe and machine mass. It may be easier to just keep casting clones with the heavy bodies that are similar to what the originals had as a guess(???). I notice they've done away with the vents in the base so maybe a more efficient motor. The 4 less inserts make sense as the geometry of the cutter head is different.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Conway View Post
    It will be delayed just like your G0490...no matter what they tell you.
    No, this one is more accurate and Made in Taiwan by a ISO 9001 factory that we have dealt with since inception (35 years ago).

Build quality is very high and our office and inspectors are in the same city so we go there every day. Same factory that makes some other famous brands like Sawstop, Dewalt, PM etc. Owner is a personal friend of mine. Delivery dates from this factory are generally very accurate, and we get daily reports on progress as we are there. Our cost is higher than the China made machines, but we try to eat some of that to give a better selection and delivery to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    No, this one is more accurate and Made in Taiwan by a ISO 9001 factory that we have dealt with since inception (35 years ago).

Build quality is very high and our office and inspectors are in the same city so we go there every day. Same factory that makes some other famous brands like Sawstop, Dewalt, PM etc. Owner is a personal friend of mine. Delivery dates from this factory are generally very accurate, and we get daily reports on progress as we are there. Our cost is higher than the China made machines, but we try to eat some of that to give a better selection and delivery to customers.
    Shiraz, thank you for chiming in. I'd appreciate your honest opinion please. Should I cancel my order for the 0495X and order this new jointer instead? I'm ok with waiting until early December to get it if I can save some money and have a superior machine. I originally wanted the 0490X but the wait time killed me and it doesn't seem to be an end in sight on the China made machines.

Also, what makes up the weight difference that everyone has referenced?

I think I'd still have time to cancel and order this jointer if I do it Monday morning as I just ordered yesterday evening. Any input would be appreciated.

11. Matt - the G0495X is a much heavier duty machine than the new G0858 with a longer table. Almost 800 lbs. If you can afford it, keep the machine on order as it is really very nice. Made in the same factory I was referring to above in Taiwan. It has features very few jointers have, like a digital readout for the table up and down that I designed.

I don't know where you are located, but the machine is in stock at the WA facility. It is not in stock at the MO facility, and I cannot look up the due date from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Matt - the G0495X is a much heavier duty machine than the new G0858 with a longer table. Almost 800 lbs. If you can afford it, keep the machine on order as it is really very nice. Made in the same factory I was referring to above in Taiwan. It has features very few jointers have, like a digital readout for the table up and down that I designed.

I don't know where you are located, but the machine is in stock at the WA facility. It is not in stock at the MO facility, and I cannot look up the due date from home.
    Thank you Shiraz, I kind of figured this. I'm in AZ so I should get it probably within a week or so from WA. I do like the rack and pinion fence and other things on the 0495X. I have read about the digital readout and while its a nice touch, I don't know how much I'll actually use it since I don't typically move my bed height once set (but maybe I will now that I have that at my disposal?). I also read that it runs on battery and there is no way to turn it off thus draining the batteries relatively quickly. Is this correct? Is there any way to hardwire it to turn it on with the machine power when the machine is on?

I have a G0490x on backorder and inquired about a ship date today and was informed 11/15. I was fully expecting it to be much longer and was ready to cancel my order and get a Steelex from a local supplier, but decided to wait until the 15th and see what happens. Today I noticed this G0858 with limited info. It sounds like it might be a better move to cancel the G04090x and change it to this machine? Since they are similar in cost, it sounds like the lead time, build quality and rack and pinion table are all benefits of the new machine, is that correct? It sounds like the lead time I was quoted, historically has not been very accurate and the lead time of the G0858 should actually be the end of November?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want a lighter build, shorter table jointer? Having the wrong machine a month earlier doesn't seem like a great trade off. Dave

Tony, I was informed multiple times about dates and each time it got extended again and again. I would not count on getting yours on 11/15, to be honest.