Thread: Acorn controller Changes Coming?

Acorn controller Changes Coming?

On another Forum they said the Acorn controller card will be changed or perhaps it will be an Acorn II that will allow more axis than 4?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill...
    As a beta tester for them I can say there are some goodies coming in the upcoming months. Currently in testing is an IO expansion that adds 16 inputs and 16 outputs to the current 8 and 8 on the Acorn IO board.

Since I am familiar with your machine model, I am wondering, do you have a need for more than the current 4?
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

If a machine has dual y axis drives, I'm assuming that uses all the 4 axis capability of the Acorn controller, yes? Or is there any other way they can be controlled?

Yes, when resources are short, you can use hardware pairing for those 2 motors. This is what most users that require a 4th axis (dual Z or rotary) have done. The only feature loss is independent axis squaring.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Yes, when resources are short, you can use hardware pairing for those 2 motors. This is what most users that require a 4th axis (dual Z or rotary) have done. The only feature loss is independent axis squaring.
    Well this is for future use. If I decide to dump Mach3 then going to a machine that could run a rotary would be a big plus. In other words Yes a 5th axis.

Right now I am taking a break from installing a mini split Heat Pump. Yes I have couple jobs to run on the CNC router, but I can do that while its raining... again.

Thanks Gary, it should be easy enuf to square up the y axis manually. This for future use for me also, I'd like to make a machine with a large well in the end of the table for a 10" rotary table that can be set manually from horizontal thru vertical. Would be for inlay of banjo rims and turned vessels, very light cuts, but very precise with minimum backlash.

Bill...
    Depending on the control mfgr the terms "Axis", "Motor Channel", Step & Direction Port" and a few other terms are used to describe this. Which always causes some confusion.

Acorn is capable of 4 axes of simultaneous motion in any combination. Assuming the first 3 are X, Y and Z, the 4th would commonly be: 1) a rotary axis (A, B or C) 2) a second vertical axis (W) or 3) a paired set of gantry motors on a horizontal axis (with X or Y)

In most cases a "5th axis" will not exist until after a 4th is in place. (unless you speak of motor channels, that is)

A good number of hobby grade controllers will not do even 4 axes simultaneous unless they slow substantially. For most users this shows up when VCarving. The 3 axis move the bit makes when making an inside square corner uses all 3 at once. So does spiral interpolating a hole.

A couple examples would be at 1:40 in this video: https://youtu.be/xqTpEXHOWPw

And the same principle applied when using a rotary axis at 6:40 into this one: https://youtu.be/e9xkut4bm90
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 10-20-2018 at 8:42 AM.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Gary it might clear up a little confusion if you define as to what is a "hobby controller"?

My machine requires four axis as one side of the Y is slaved to the other. It can self square if that option is checked. I do not know if Mach3 supports a 5th or even more for uses like a rotary I am guessing it does.

Right now I am involved in replacing the H&C system on our enclosed 3 - 4 seasons porch.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-20-2018 at 2:34 PM.

Bill...
    Before a year ago I would have said, "those controllers, usually sub $500, designed for hobby sized machines or the DIY market", but Centroid has thrown a wrench into that formula with their Acorn controller. Features at or near the top of commercial controllers, at DIY prices. Of course there limits on axis channels and IO, but the core function remains the same as their high end servo controllers.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC