Thread: something smells like cherry

something smells like cherry

So Saturday my car smelled like black cherry and now my shop smells like it. Minimal waste the shavings get dried on the shop floor and go to the smoker. I was on craigs list at the right time for a change and scored as many cherry logs as i could squeeze into my Jeep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#jealous!
    I sure wish we had Black Cherry in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    #jealous!
    I sure wish we had Black Cherry in CO.
    Road trip, road trip.
    An acquaintance once drove her station wagon from the deserts near your end of the country and compressed the springs with slabs and turning blanks from my sawmill. Walnut, cherry, persimmon, dogwood, maple, etc.
    Come visit. We can play George Washington with a tree that really needs to come down this winter.

I have a large black cherry tree that I will be cutting down in a couple weeks. Anyone who wants some black cherry and is will to pick it up is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have a large black cherry tree that I will be cutting down in a couple weeks. Anyone who wants some black cherry and is will to pick it up is welcome.
    What is the diameter? Any straight trunk sections?

John,

The main trunk of the tree is only about 4 feet tall but there are three main branches that are each about 40 feet tall. Its raining this morning but I should be able to get some dimensions and a picture this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    John,

The main trunk of the tree is only about 4 feet tall but there are three main branches that are each about 40 feet tall. Its raining this morning but I should be able to get some dimensions and a picture this afternoon.
    Sounds like turning wood to me! Slabs if wide enough. The triple crotch may be spectacular if in good condition. I've sawn good lumber from large branches that were almost vertical - I got 22" dia logs once from a 48" oak tree.

I've thought about a road trip before. Drive back east, rent a trailer, bring back some walnut and cherry logs. That would be so worth it.

But it's an 18.5 hour drive to TN, and 25 hour drive to VA. Tempting, but maybe I can find some closer.

Black Cherry.jpg

The main branches range from 15" to 21" in diameter at their base.