Thread: MinWax One Coat Polyurethane finish has developed white spots

MinWax One Coat Polyurethane finish has developed white spots

My daughter finished her new cabinets with a MinWax stain, and then used MinWax One Coat Polyurethane finish, all as per instructions. Most of the project looks fine, but in some of the corners and a few places on flat surfaces, it dried with white spots. I will attempt to attach a picture, although I'm new to this, so hope it works. You can see the white in the lower right corner of the door, and also on the surface. (hopefully) Does anyone have any experience with removing this "white problem"? --or suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts!
    Acts 20:24

Admittedly, I have not used this product. However, when I've used waterbased top coats, they are often milky and blue before they go on, but dry clear. When I have used Enduro Clear Poly, it sprays and dries fine, but when I try to brush it onto test pieces, sometimes I get a haze like this. My unconfirmed theory is that it's the result of too thick a coat being put on, causing the top to harden before the solvent can fully evaporate underneath. Did you brush this on with the that face horizontal, or vertical. If it was vertical, is it possible that those were tiny drips you did not see that dried thick?

Sometimes the satin sheen can develop streaks when the flatteners have not been thoroughly mixed. This is usually with oilbased poly, and more pervasive when it's thinned in a wiping varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Admittedly, I have not used this product. However, when I've used waterbased top coats, they are often milky and blue before they go on, but dry clear. When I have used Enduro Clear Poly, it sprays and dries fine, but when I try to brush it onto test pieces, sometimes I get a haze like this. My unconfirmed theory is that it's the result of too thick a coat being put on, causing the top to harden before the solvent can fully evaporate underneath. Did you brush this on with the that face horizontal, or vertical. If it was vertical, is it possible that those were tiny drips you did not see that dried thick?

Sometimes the satin sheen can develop streaks when the flatteners have not been thoroughly mixed. This is usually with oilbased poly, and more pervasive when it's thinned in a wiping varnish.

Thank you Prashun! I'm reasonably sure that it was applied flat. I agree that, especially in the corners, in "puddled" a bit, ending up too thick. Any ideas on how to correct it? One suggestion I found was to apply a SMALL amount of rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, try acetone or nail polish remover. I figure that will remove all of the poly, and then one would re-apply a small amount of poly. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Try warming it up with a hair dryer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

After trying many suggestions, what worked was the nail polish remover, which is high in acetone. Thanks for the suggestions.