Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello again

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thread Hijack Alert - Just one off topic question for Zach please before I am thrown out. Do you prefer single iron or double iron planes in your older Dutch/English lineup?
    Single irons are my preference David. I've never found the need to have the benefits that the double iron purports to offer (I work mostly with walnut and pine) and it just adds a complication in making, sharpening, and tuning the planes. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 10-18-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I'm almost 64 and I prefer LV. Probably because I have always liked gadgets.

+1 on wooden bodied bench and joinery planes.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-18-2018 at 8:21 PM.

Thanks Zack and apologies to Bob W for the hijack. As to the initial question, I tend to prefer the Stanley Baily line, although I do use a couple of double iron wooden planes. I was gifted a bronze LN #4 and it works very well, but it is a heavy beast. While I have gotten used to it and use it for final smoothing, I bet I would have put it back down on the shelf if I had been able to heft it before buying it. I feel like LV is doing some innovative design work on their tools or improvements on older designs and turning out good quality "users" in their various offerings, but I don't buy much new stuff in planes. I am waiting on a wooden plow plane that I have on order. I am also another of the "older guys".
    David

I'm 71 and have a mixed collection of of Stanley/Bailey, Sargent, Sears, Craftsman,Millers Falls, Shelton, and Union. I have one LN bronze 102. We just don't have the money to invest in the premium brands. I use all of them from time to time, but favor the Millers Falls. Sargent is next. Just remembered having the LV large router and scrub planes. My wife can't stand for me to find some poor rusty old plane that's looking for a home, because she knows I'll be begging to take it with us.

I have noticed the higher prices for planes and such. $25.00 seems to be the new $10.00.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Turned 65 this year...and prefer my Bailey and Millers Falls planes.....still learning on the WR #62....
    planes.jpg
    YMMV..
    shaving.jpg

I was dangerously close to 50, twenty years ago 😱. Most of my planes are Stanley, but all my specialty planes are LV, with the exception of a St James Bay smoother.