Thread: Looking for ideas for interior door

Looking for ideas for interior door

I'm building my new workshop. It's a 28X32 building, 10' walls. I'm going to partition off a 12' wide area where the garage door is so my workshop will end up being 20X28. In the interest of not loosing heat, I'm using a standard 36" entry door from the outside into the shop. The shop will be heated, the garage won't so I'll be insulating the partition wall and adding a door to it. I want a wide door so I can move large tools/equipment in and out of the shop as needed. For example, my workbench is 4' by 8' so it won't fit through a 36" door. I was thinking about a barn door but I don't know if it can be sealed well enough to keep the heat in the shop. On my old shop (3 states away) I put a steel french door on the front of the shop when I built it. Worked great for getting stuff in and out but they're expensive and I'm a cheap Yankee.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to how I can put a 4' or 5' wide door in the partition wall that will keep the heat in the shop?

Thanks
    By the way, this is what the shop/garage will look like.

Garage color graphic.jpg

You can easily source a double door that would give you the equivalent of two 36" doors. I have them on the outside of my shop to replace the original "garage" doors, as a matter of fact, but mine are outward opening so they don't take space in the shop when they are, in fact, open. (security hinges, security pins, etc. obviously) That would work nicely for your application and in the nicer part of the year, you could open them and the garage door for very nice air flow.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. A pair of pocket doors would work inexpensively. No door swing to deal with either. Marginal heat retention though.

I use insulated double doors for both interior and exterior, two inside between rooms and three exterior, in addition to a single 36" main entry door, one in an interior wall, and a third one in the back room for emergency exit. I usually open just one door of the double doors but the other is there if I need the extra clearance. I don't know the R value of the insulation but in the winter they don't feel especially cold. Mine are 5' wide so each door is 30". I buy them pre-hung so they are easy to set.

Lets see, five double doors, three single, and three insulated steel garage doors in the back - sounds kind of excessive when I write it all down. My shop is 24x62, the last 22' a maintenance area.

I think an insulated steel double door would work well for your partition.

BTW, I did two things with my doors that I'm real glad I did. One, I put Schlage keypad deadbolts on both exterior man doors. That way I don't have to carry a key with me, ever. The second, instead of knobs or keyed locksets I use passage levers for most doors. That way if my hands are full I can open the door with an elbow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJJ1MQ
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007PNP2I

JKJ

Home depot has 6' exterior steel french door for $440.I put one in my shop.
    Jaromir