Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on moving a big bandsaw

Advice on moving a big bandsaw

At the end of this week, I am driving 150 miles to purchase a used Grizzly G0513 bandsaw for a very reasonable price. As it would be, the bandsaw is assembled but with fence an table removed (trunnions still attached) to move it without damaging those items. With these items removed, there are no major protrusions from the front face (the side that would face the operator) except the on/off switch. Though the saw is basically a rectangle, this is the only the face that is protrusion-free (other than the bottom side it stands on). With the saw being ~350 lbs, I would prefer to not transport it standing.
    If there is care taken to protect the on/off switch, do you see any issues or major concerns with the saw being transported face-down? I would appreciate some insight and wisdom from some of you that own this saw or have moved large bandsaws like this before. How much risk does this pose to the long-term usability of the bandsaw? Would you take the risk?

I haul 3k pound BS up right all the time. I never pull tables off. I don't see an issue.

I would probably feel more comfortable transporting it upright on a truck that had a liftgate to hoist it. I am not so fortunate enough to have access to such transportation options. Given my situation (transport vehicle available), I will most probably have to haul this one on its side unless I hear from the wiser here that I am making a big mistake. Have you ever had to haul one on its side? Any adverse effects that you can think of in doing so?

John
    If I had to haul one on it's side, I'd take all of the weight off the frame I could. Wheels, motor, table, etc. The frame is not designed to see load in that horizontal plane.
    Protect the ON/OFF switch with some padding and you should be good.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If it's a Euro style steel body saw with a flat back, it's very common to transport them on their spine. That's how I brought my MM16 home years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That saw should be no problem on its spine. Like Jim said, most of those steel body saws are packed and transported that way. Why not call Grizzly and see how they crate them? I moved a laguna LT20 upright, and while its a little tippy as you describe, i bolted it to a pallet and then strapped it down and it was fine. Having it on a pallet/skid is nice to move it around too. My saw has the mobility kit on it with the johnson bar, but that is suitable for nice level floor without debris. Not so much when it comes to cracks, ledges, lips and more. That is where i like a pallet jack.

John you have not stated what you have available to haul this bandsaw in . I hauled a Steel city 18 inch home in my tool trailer with other tools around it laying on its spine table still on the machine. If you have the room lay it on the spine and go. Mike.

Patrick,
    I bought an older Delta Rockwell 28-6x0 20 inch variable speed bandsaw in June of this year and transported it 400 miles in my Ford F-150 on its spine. I removed the table, but left the motor in the saw. The saw weighed around 600-700 pounds and thankfully the school had a tractor with a front end loader and that is what we used to load it in the truck. I could have left the bandsaw upright, but had no good way to unload at my shop. I chose to lay it down on its spine and blocked it to prevent it sliding around on the trip home. I slid the saw out of the truck and with the help of a couple of my neighbors, we unloaded into my shop with no issues. It was really no big deal as I have moved a lot of machinery and have figured out how to safely transport it. You won't have any problems if you are careful. Good Luck!
    Joe
    Engineer - noun (en-juh-neer)
    Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
    See also wizard, magician

When I bought my Jet 18" bandsaw at an auction it was only 5 miles or so from here, and all I had to move it in was a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer. I borrowed a hand truck from the auctioneer and rolled it down the driveway with the truck on the spine side of the machine, and when I got to the trailer I turned it around and with help from a couple of folks laid it on the spine in the trailer bed, fully assembled. It rode fine like that. I don't suppose it would hurt a saw to lay it on its front with the table removed but I find the spine side seems much easier.
    Zach

Hi,
    Have you done a search of the archives here? There are a lot of threads about moving bandsaws, some of which are from members who documented how they did it with photos.

FWIW, most here would tell you 350# is neither big nor heavy as far as bandsaws go, so assuming your transport vehicle is a pickup truck or a trailer, I would say just muscle it on to a four wheel dolly, fashion a not-too-steep ramp, pull it up the ramp into your transport and keep it upright with a few tie-downs. Do the reverse at your destination and you should be fine. Don't give in to any urges to go off-roading during your trip home.
    At 350 pounds, a tilting mover's dolly that you can rent might be an option also.
    Edwin

While not a bandsaw, when I picked up my used Grizzly G0490 Jointer (500 lbs), I used my 18' steel deck dovetail trailer which was easier than getting the jointer into and out of the back of my pickup bed, particularly by using the trailer ramps and the built in mobility wheels on the jointer. I had taken along a collection of 2x4's & 2x6's and once the jointer was in place, I cut and screwed the 2x's together to form a secure frame to keep the jointer in place and since it was top heavy, I used multiple straps on the jointer itself (snug but not overly tight to prevent undesired stressing) to finish securing the jointer to the trailer. It made the 100 mile trip with no problems and overall the process was much easier than I had anticipated. You might consider a similar method for the bandsaw and depending on where & how you would need to place framing to "crate" the saw, you can use a blanket or towels to limit the risk of scratching or rubbing the paint if needed.

I bought my Laguna 18BX Bandsaw (460 lbs) new and it was well packaged in a cocoon of styrofoam & cardboard and shipped laying down so we were able to slide it to the back of my pick-up's tailgate and pivot the base to the ground and to an upright position. If you transport the saw laying down, it might be a good idea to place several heavy blankets beneath to offer padding and for the option of being able to move it around by sliding without damage from scratching while loading or unloading.

Thank you all for your input. I am changing plans (and borrowing an open bed pickup and will either try to move it upright or will lay it on its spine.

I moved my Grizzly G0513X2BF laying down in the back of my pickup with no issues. In fact, the Grizzly sales rep at the Bellingham store suggested it, indicating it would do no harm. The distance was only about 35 miles but distance shouldn't make a difference.

My 20" saw was delivered in a horizontal position, so you should be OK.

However, my saw had a ring on top for lifting, so it might be easier to lift it on and off your truck with a simple chain lift.

Lay it on its spine with the table off, it will be easy to move that saw as the weight is distributed evenly when its laying down, so you can easily lift one end and pull it incrementally.
    I suggest bringing two or three planks as it will be easier to lift if you can get your fingers under it, and maybe some carpet or an auld jacket for the table.

Tom