Thread: Grease problem - (radial arm saw restoration)

Question Grease problem - (radial arm saw restoration)

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a decent grease for the gearbox within an electric motor (primary spindle operates at 20,000 RPM, secondary spindles at 3450 RPM - (Shopmate 5200 type 2)).

I replaced the bearings, had the armature re-wound, but I'm hitting my head against the wall with the grease. I tried kincrome hi-temp grease (link), but have had huge problems with the viscosity. It seems to drag the motor (it's too thick/sticky). Reading the description on the grease, it seems to be for "slow-speed." I had only paid attention to the wording that it was suited for bearings.

So... Could anyone point me in the right direction for a high speed grease. I was thinking synthetic, but at this point, really I'd be happy with any one that would work.

Thanks!

Gears, especially high speed gears are often oil lubricated but grease works in some situations. Since yours is presumably specified as grease lubricated, your problem will be excess grease. The one you have used is a for high and low speed applications so will be OK so long as you don't use too much - just enough to coat the contact surfaces and no more. If you are still in doubt about the best product, google 'gear lubricants' and you will get on line selecters from a range of suppliers that will steer you to a product available in your area. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Blog Entries
    I'm not expert at all, but I understand that high RPM is oil territory, for bearings & gears.

Grease is used in high pressure situations, like with wheel bearings or sometimes gears. Is the room the motor is in heated. Cold temperatures can cause problems with thicker greases on startup.
    Wayne is correct about using too much grease and causing excessive friction. The grease is suppose to turn to an almost liquid state when working at high rpm's. Thus it expands and takes up more room in an enclosed environment.
    In your situation the bearing should be open on the end of the shaft. If using lesser grease does not help I would try a synthetic grease.

Might be a shot in the dark, but it could be specified in the manual for the motor, if you have it or can find it. If the manufacturer is still around, you might be able to hit them up for info as well.

Corn head grease might be good.
    Bill D

On edit: cotton picker grease is easier to find, sold at tractor supply and it is compatible with most existing oils and greases. The corn head will require cleaning out all the old stuff first.

TSC sku number below.

SKU # 105682899 $5.29/quart
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-19-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Have you tried looking in OWWM website? I looked quickly but found little with the Shopmate 5200 query.