Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Project for the Boss

Second frame is in the clamps..
    glued up.jpg
    Corner blocks have been made, and installed..
    installed.jpg
    Rebates have been run, to house the plywood back
    IMG_6333 (640x480).jpg
    Lay out lines, to show where the parts go, have been done..
    no screws.jpg
    Only to find out...not enough of the correct length screws in the shop..
    May have settled on a blank for the drawer front..
    drawer front.jpg
    Single or double chrome knob? Trip to get screws has been done....awaiting Supper....then maybe head back to the shop?
    Stay tuned

Screws have been bought.
    IMG_6340 (640x480).jpg
    And put to use...
    IMG_6342 (640x480).jpg
    hard on this old back...moving things on and off and back on to the bench...
    IMG_6343 (640x480).jpg
    Then back onto the floor...
    IMG_6344 (640x480).jpg
    Cut a couple curves. Now I can get a back put on this thing, and work on the face frame parts. then a pair of doors, and a drawer....then work on the upper unit?
    Stay tuned

Normally...the shop is Closed on Mondays.....not today! Shop is Open...film @ 2300 hrs ZULU....

Face frame parts are getting milled, 1/4" Plywood has been bought....already spent 2+ hours in the shop...getting ready to go back there, again....after Supper.

Stay tuned...

This might take a while....Parts for the face frame were milled..
    curved.jpg
    Had to remove the burn marks..
    spokeshave.jpg
    Rather...Seymour Smith and his Son did...
    cleaned up.jpg
    1/2 laps were cleaned up..
    cleaned laps.jpg
    That be a 40+ yr old tablesaw..8" blade.
    IMG_6363 (640x480).jpg
    After a trips to Blue Borg, to buy the plywood, back is now installed. Clamps to pull things into alignment...
    benched.jpg
    Didn't want to work on the face frame install like this, so...
    stand up.jpg

Thin scraps to cover the tool well. As for some that think they NEED a huge shop, to do any work in....what you see, is what I have for a shop.
    Will try to install the face frame parts Tuesday.....screws with counter-bored holes..then matching grain plugs to fill the holes.
    lap cuts.jpg
    Although, just to make Simon "happy", there MAY be some sawdust & glue in use...
    Stay tuned..

Ok, after Lunch had settled...I went to the shop, and got the frame installed...
    IMG_6376 (458x640).jpg
    Counter-bored holes, pilot holes for the screws...drill for each step....Clamps to pull things to where they need to be....Glue as needed. letting this sit a while, waiting on glue to dry..

Also milled a bunch of plugs into the scrap I cut out from the bottom rail...figure the grain should match?
    plugs.jpg
    And didn't scorch any. Bit did chew one or two up..but this is the ends to go into the holes, anyway. Tools?
    install tools.jpg
    Flat bladed screwdriver to pop the plug loose, add a dab of glue to the narrow end, hammer the plug into place..
    installed plug.jpg
    And let the glue dry a while...as i install the other 18 plugs....and get the trimmer tools out..
    trimmers.jpg
    Wide chisel, usually bevel down, to pop off the waste....block plane to flush the plug...
    trimmed.jpg
    Needs a bit of sanding...Waiting on glue to dry on the other plugs right now.

Drawer front: Blank was long enough...just not tall enough..
    blank.jpg
    When I can get a few clamps..this will be the next glue-up....

Sitting here, picking dried glue off me fingers....stay tuned...may go back to the shop..after Supper?

Clamps came off...case is off the bench!....All plugs are trimmed flush....some are a bit hard to see...now
    3 plugs.jpg
    Last I looked, there were 3 plugs in this area....Round-over bit was run along all hard corners, and across the feet..
    feet.jpg
    White plastic pads were nailed on...top and other places saw not only the sanders, and the router..they also saw this thing..
    scraper.jpg
    Top is looking better?
    top.jpg
    Side view?
    side view.jpg
    So..clamps came off..but where did they go?
    glued up.jpg
    Ok...Pine is merely a caul....needed to flatten out a spot...Finish to be used?
    finishes.jpg
    Front view ..
    front view.jpg
    Tomorrow I can start work on a drawer.....need to pick up another oak plank for parts for the doors....Flat panels in a frame for each door. Then use boards set aside for the topper...about another week of work? had enough fun for one day....stay tuned, tomorrow I might actually get something done....

IF that "billy club" handle on the No. 82 looked like something else...
    2 Stanleys.jpg
    That is because the Stanley No. 70 has almost the same exact handle....happens to be stained red on this one. The #70 can be pulled along glue joints...dried glue will not bother it. It also makes short work of those annoying bar code stickers...
    Scraper seems to be sharpened up about right....was making some nice shavings...

Ok, started out today with this being cleaned out..
    cleaned up.jpg
    Told the Boss I could bring up the cabinet..IF the old one was empty and moved away...to someplace else.....like a bloody bomb hit the Kitchen....still not quite done.

Woodworking today? Well that drawer front came out of the clamps..got one edge jointed....then I ripped the other edge to get close to final width....
    jointed edge.jpg
    may have found something this fancy plane could do...then the ends were cut for square, and a test fit was done
    test fit.jpg
    Will tweak the fit, when the drawer is finished....tried a few planes to smooth that face.....62 was chattering worse than the #3c....beltsander wasn't much help, either....finally..
    scraper.jpg
    #82 cleaned things up. Someday, I will get the hang of doing these things...
    dovetails.jpg
    I hate 1/2 blind dovetails.....working on a system to make them a little easier....still a work in progress...
    Got the other corner done, somehow...then a dry fit..
    dry fit.jpg
    Need to plough a groove for the bottom of the drawer. Cut dados for the back to sit in..and make the back....I did get the Stanley 45 switched over from rebate plane to Plough plane...less than ten minutes to do...
    plough plane.jpg
    Will need a jig to hold things still long enough to do the grooves....might even switch the 45 over to Dado plane...after the gooves are done..

Stay tuned
    IMG_6402 (640x480).jpg
    Until the handles arrive, I don't want to slide this all the way...might be a little rough pulling it back out...

Grooves were made, today
    sides done.jpg
    Front and both side....changed the Stanley 45 to a dado plane..
    assembled.jpg
    Make the dados..
    dado done.jpg
    Pilot holes were drilled..
    pilot holes.jpg
    And countersunk..
    countersink.jpg
    A back was cut to size..and a panel for the drawer's bottom
    back and bottom.jpg
    Glue, screws, clamps and cauls
    clamp and caul.jpg
    Sides were checked for square, then a row of screws across the back edge..two moe clamps were added to the cauls...drawer was then stashed out of the way, to cure
    stashed.jpg
    Then hauled the last of the Oak I have on-hand to the shop....to get a start on making a topper, and two doors..
    Stay tuned...trying to do a "cut list" for what I need, out of what I got.....

Cut List? Well, I had to find out a few sizes, and mark those on the Plans..
    plan, front view.jpg
    Like the rough opening for the doors...how long of a 3/4" by 9" slab should be...and,,
    plan, side view.jpg
    And a size needed for the sides of the topper...then haul all the Oak I have left to the shop..
    crack.jpg
    Slab is a 1 x 12...and has a crack started at one end....will make this the "cut-off" part..
    thick oak.jpg
    Have these three @ 3/4" x 6-1/2" ( bench is 5' long, BTW) and a pair of 3/8" thick boards..
    thin Oak.jpg
    May get used for the flat panels for the doors.
    After supper last night,,fired up the tablesaw....
    top shelf.jpg
    Ok..that was fun...It is also 9" wide. Piece still on the saw is that cut-off...may find a use for it, some day.

Cut one of the 1 x 6s into a pair for the sides of the topper...6-1/2"...when I need 8" Cut a third piece the same length..then ripped it down for a few 2" wide strips..
    side parts.jpg
    Then glued up a pair of blanks..
    first panel.jpg
    This one didn't even need a caul...the other blank only needed one caul....Ripped a bunch of parts at 2" wide....will use those for the frames of the doors....will see how today goes....
    BTW, the drawer needed a "little off the top" at one corner...then it slid right in. A snug fit...will tune it a bit..after the knobs are installed..

Stay tuned...

Ok...at least the drawer fits..
    IMG_6451 (640x480).jpg
    I did get all 4 stiles made...test fitted a couple, even...
    IMG_6454 (640x480).jpg
    Needed to find the center, then make the 4 rails to length....stock I had for the rails was 4/4 not 3/4....had to remove the excess..
    IMG_6450 (640x480).jpg
    Stiles were planed to match each other...then the rails were done as well..needed grooves made...was easier to grab the old plough plane, than reset the Stanley 45...
    IMG_6455 (640x480).jpg
    This plane makes curly shavings..instead of stringy ones..
    IMG_6456 (640x480).jpg
    Only had 8 grooves to mill, anyway..( well..9, after I messed up a tenon cut..)
    IMG_6461 (640x480).jpg
    Hmm, tenons...used the bandsaw jig...
    IMG_6463 (640x480).jpg
    I also wanted haunched tenons...
    IMG_6465 (640x480).jpg
    But..it does help IF there is a tenon to haunch..
    Stay tuned...

Must have been getting tired...was already sore from the plough plane..went to mill one more haunch...
    IMG_6466 (640x480).jpg
    hate when that happens....had to go back find a replacement piece, mill it for thickness length and width....then run that plough plane again...
    IMG_6459 (640x480).jpg
    At least it was a short piece....then mark and cut new tenons...making sure I made the correct cuts, this time.
    IMG_6469 (640x480).jpg
    Got out the mortise jig....I also measured for the flat panel I will need....and marked things for that. it will need a glue up to make the panel just a bit ( 2") wider. Swept the floor..
    IMG_6467 (640x480).jpg
    The entire shop floor, at that..
    IMG_6468 (640x480).jpg
    I figure these two panels can sit there..until I need the clamps..
    IMG_6448 (640x480).jpg
    Legs were cramping..mistakes were starting...time to stop for the day....have plenty of time tomorrow...
    Stay tuned ( boring anyone?)

Had a late night, last night...those two panels are now out of the clamps....took one upstairs to the kitchen...needed to locate where the mid shelf was to go....mid shelf was glued up.

Sizes marked for the door panels.
    So...today's check list?
    Remove clamps from the glue up of the shelf..done.
    Cut the thin pieces for the door panels to length, match the grain patterns, joint the matching edges....glue, clamps, and cauls...set the two panels aside, wait on the glue to cure..done did..
    Square the ends of the two topper sides....rip for width of 8".....done....mid shelf was also ripped to 8"....will square the ends when I get a final length.

Dry fitted two sides to the top shelf...need to lay out for a few counter bored screw holes ( more plugs..) and lay out the socket for the mid shelf's sliding dovetails....and mill those.

Just a thought...wonder how long Norm would need to do this? And how long a video would be needed..?

Will try to complete the check list today...includes chopping 8 mortises, to build the door frames....Need to go out and buy some hinges, and some knobs(4 each) and take the Boss to the store....

Pictures?
    over view.jpg
    Sides and the shelf have been squared on the ends. And all three have been ripped to 8" width...
    IMG_6483 (640x480).jpg
    Chopped 8 mortises...enough to assemble ( dry fit) both door frames..
    both frames.jpg
    Thin boards have been cut for length, edges jointed for a glue up..
    dry fit.jpg
    dry fit. Clamped and set aside to dry
    panel glued up.jpg
    After the glue has cured enough...squared the ends, laid a frame over one panel, marked the panel for width needed, ripped the excess off...and cleaned the glue joint...
    panel clean up.jpg
    Dry fitted to the frame...needed to bevel the edges, to get into the 1/4" wide grooves..
    hide-a-bevel.jpg
    This is the inside of this door, BTW...

More to show..stay tuned..

Mortise tools?
    chopping tools.jpg
    Mallet is a rawhide one....narex seemed to like it better...had to trim one tenon....was a little lop-sided...peeled the excess with a chin-powered chisel
    end grain curl.jpg
    usual luck clamping up doors...needed a lot of cauls..
    outside view.jpg
    To keep the frame flat....set this aside..assemble the second one
    door #2.jpg
    Panels needed a bevel run around all the edges. inside and out....used a smaller jack plane for that
    junior jack.jpg
    No. 11, Junior Jack. Made a mess on the floor, again..
    messy floor.jpg
    Just from cutting bevels.
    hinges.jpgHinges were picked up today
    knobs and washers.jpg
    and knobs and a few washers to back them up. Also got a few cheap brushes,,to apply stain with...

Afraid not much else got done....maybe tomorrow?

Stay tuned..