Thread: My tablesaw is squeaking....

My tablesaw is squeaking....

I've had my Bridgewood TS for 12 years and it's just now started making noise during height/tilt adjustments and is slightly stiffer. Is there a good lube that won't attract dust? I was considering bike chain lube, the kind designed for dusty environments.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

The original lubricant is most likely something very similar to wheel bearing grease.
    If it is a 12 year maintenance schedule doesn't sound too bad to me.

Use grease. It attracts dust. That's a good thing

Blog Entries
    Grease. Some swear by dry lube, which does make things move smooth (but not as smooth as grease), but the parts will wear out faster.

So having the screws packed with dusty grease is a good thing? Doesn't bind up the works?
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    So having the screws packed with dusty grease is a good thing? Doesn't bind up the works?
    A little bit goes a long way. You can also use Johnson paste wax on the elevate and tilt screws.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A little bit goes a long way. You can also use Johnson paste wax on the elevate and tilt screws.
    This.
    Clean the mechanism of all the gunk and wax the threads.

"Grease, dust, and age, make a good glue"
    Unknown Navy XO
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    It doesn't bind in my experience. The dust creates a barrier it seems that just falls off when it builds up.

I've tried everything. Grease, wax, oil, spray lube, Teflon spray, chain wax. Just about anything I had on hand that was slippery that I could shoot or wipe on. Grease is the only thing that works and has any lasting affect. The saw near the benches goes through many adjustments through out the day. Grease lasts a few months, everything else lasts a few weeks or less.

I clean the living daylights out of everything, then recoat with spray-on graphite.

Dust/sap doesn't stick to it, and it keeps things freed up.

I use Johnson's Paste Wax for the gears and trunnion ways, applied with an old tooth brush, and a dry moly lube for where shafts go through that need to rotate. The paste wax surface dries, making it not collect saw dust, but it stays in place and lubricates well. I also use it on the table surface and any exposed cast iron, to keep rust away and to make the work slide across the table easily. I've been lubricating my table saws this way for over 60 years and never have had any problems caused by it.

Charley