Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Expressions / coloquialisms

Squeaking like a rusty hinge. Higher than a steeple painter. As coordinated as a bear cub in boxing gloves. Blowing like a whale in ice.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Some common ones here:

Cheese and Bread, Man. - a nice way to not take the name of the Lord in vain.
    Bustin a lime, or “limin”. relaxing
    Big Up- like saying “props” or “shout out”
    A dog neva know how big he be til he swallow a bone
    what sweet in a goat’s mouth da be sour in he @$$
    Mingle with the dogs, get the same fleas
    Sheep nah bring de goat. (A sheep can’t birth a goat)

. . . good enough for the girls we run with.

Upstate
    Any place in New York State north of Westchester. This term is used primarily by residents of NYC, not typically by anyone from actual Upstate unless you've relocated there from NYC. Similarly "Downstate" usually refers to The City.

The City
    Manhattan when in one of the Outer Boroughs. Usually refers most any parts of NYC you're in NJ, Long Island and sometimes Upstate.

Downtown
    Any place below either 34th St, 23rd St, 14th St, Houston or Canal Street depending on where you live in Manhattan. "Midtown" usually refers to anywhere above 34th and below 72nd though it gets a bit gray as those who live "Uptown" differ as to whether this begins at either 59th or 72nd.

Subway
    The underground and sometimes above ground rail transit network operated the MTA. I've yet to find another city that actually uses this term similarly eg: Chicago "L", San Francisco "Muni" or "BART", Boston "T", LA "Metro", etc.

The Shore
    More New Jersey and Philadelphia than NYC, refers to almost any beach in NJ.

Blog Entries
    Out to lunch and staying for dinner. (said of someone who is off their rocker and isn't coming back or someone drunk and out for the count)

Hopping around like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Nine out of ten men who tried Camels went back to women. (said when someone is lighting a Camel cigarette)

Slicker than snake snot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Watch this.
    Hold my beer for me .
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Well, Malcolm, what a challenge, but fair crack of the sauce bottle, most of the preceding is Greek to me. I was never the sharpest tool in the shed but I have to admit that colloquialisms are my cup of tea. My preferred measurement system is based on poofteenths and bees d***s (can I say that?). My less talented friends are a few kangaroos short in the top paddock, an impossible choice leaves me between the devil and the deep blue sea, and taking a sickie is a civic duty. The only problem with taking a sickie is the boss gets a bit hot under the collar if someone dobs you in so they can suck up to the boss.

Barracking is what the US describes as rooting. Rooting is what new plants do underground when they are growing, or much more importantly, what two adults do for entertainment when they are alone together and love each other very much. Ankle biters are the result of such activity if the required precautions are not used.

Out beyond the black stump is where the few uncivilised and anti-social rural people live who find living in the bush too stressful and therefore must go further out into the mulga to find solitude (I find blokes like this in the mirror). Such people are also known to live in Timbuktu, an expression brought back by the Rats of Tobruk in WW2 (seriously). Plenty more but I had better get cracking and pull my weight on the shop floor instead of bludging in the office.

I highly recommend the books by John O'Grady, especially 'They're a Weird Mob', 'Aussie English: An Explanation of the Australian Idiom', and 'Aussie Etiketr, Doing Things the Aussie Way'.

Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    . . . good enough for the girls we run with.
    The girlfriend of Andy Taylor ( sheriff of Mayberry) considered "run with" a vulgar term !! She got real mad at Andy!

Couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.
    Thicker that two short planks.
    If his brains were dynamite he couldn't blow his nose.
    The wind is so strong it would blow a brown dog off his chain.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

"It's a hard life but someone has to live it", usually said while relaxing on a beach lounger with a beer.
    "Skookum" meaning strong
    "It would look strange going up", my grandmother and mother's favorite response if someone commented on how hard the rain was coming down.
    "At least you don't have to shovel it" a Vancouverite's response to eastener's complaining about Vancouver's rainy season.
    "Some damn fool put it in the oven" again my grandmother/mother's response if you commented that some food item was hot.

Malcolm, pretty sure you know these;

"Fall off a skotch and we might pick up a zephyr when we tack."

"Got up early to catch the morning glass."

"Wind shifted onshore and mushed up the lip"

"Tubed"

"Tucked out and made the blue"
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 10-17-2018 at 8:36 PM.

“We are not building a piano.” Told to me by a friend when we were setting trusses on a house and things were a little off.

He couldn't spell banana if you gave him all the "A's"

Never leave fish to find fish!

Is a frog's arse watertight?

Gotta hook em to cook em.

Gotta slay em to fillet em.

The cabbage doesn't fall far from the tree.

She had a hissy with a wire tail. (i.e. She was upset.)

We wouldn't know him from Adam's off-ox.

Once in a blue moon.

The earlier reference to babies. Crib Crabs. When they get bigger they become “Ankle Biters”. Then “Yard Apes” and eventually “Garden Help “.

“A waste of oxygen” has always been a good way of describing a twit.