Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neander-Shop.. with Carpet?

The key is vacuum often. Especially if your carpet isn't the tight knit stuff like Brian's. I had normal carpeting in my shop for years and the sawdust really likes to get into it. Health hazard when it builds up and you walk around with puffs of dust. Big advantages over concrete when you think about a chisel rolling off the table. Mine also saved a few boxes and the likes from getting dented in a drop/fall situation.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Of course Brian has been accused of wearing a smoking jacket, ascot and carpet slippers while he works on his carpeted floor, but that does not appear to throw him off his feed any.
    That's called dressing for success

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    The key is vacuum often. Especially if your carpet isn't the tight knit stuff like Brian's. I had normal carpeting in my shop for years and the sawdust really likes to get into it. Health hazard when it builds up and you walk around with puffs of dust. Big advantages over concrete when you think about a chisel rolling off the table. Mine also saved a few boxes and the likes from getting dented in a drop/fall situation.
    Mine isn't tight knit so I'll probably be vacuuming every few times I work. I did like the idea of some cushion for when I inevitably drop something or it rolls off the bench.

I have carpet in my basement "shop." (Doubles as my exercise room.)
    I collect bigger chunks and plane shavings by hand in a dustpan and then vacuum the small stuff and dust. Works fine. I also put plastic sheeting down when using an glues or finishes, just to be safe. Cheap and easy.

I did buy a cheapo vacuum though to dedicate to the shop. I didn't want to go upstairs to get it all the time and figured it would be better than sucking up sawdust all the time with the good vacuum.
    A shopvac is a waste of time for sawdust in carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I have carpet in my basement "shop." (Doubles as my exercise room.)
    I collect bigger chunks and plane shavings by hand in a dustpan and then vacuum the small stuff and dust. Works fine. I also put plastic sheeting down when using an glues or finishes, just to be safe. Cheap and easy.

I did buy a cheapo vacuum though to dedicate to the shop. I didn't want to go upstairs to get it all the time and figured it would be better than sucking up sawdust all the time with the good vacuum.
    A shopvac is a waste of time for sawdust in carpet.
    That was my plan, to pick up the larger shavings. I guess I need to do some tests to see if my vac from the garage will work on my carpet. Good to know I might need to get a regular vacuum. Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input! I started the hand tool migration over the weekend. Working on putting up lights now and I can't wait to outfit the space!
    IMG_20181103_165509.jpgIMG_20181103_170045.jpg

Lighting is very important for my older eyes. Sounds like a good plan to address it up front.
    David

My last shop had carpeting in it and was perfectly workable. That said, if I had the choice I wouldn't have it.
    Pros- easy on the feet, especially with padding.
    Cons- gets dirty quick and looks like it, I guess different pile carpets would be better or worse, but the neutral beige I had was pretty ugly pretty quick.
    But a bigger issue than just looking ugly was that it held dust really badly. So unless you vacuumed really often and really well you'll be kicking up fine dust every step you take. Again, that would depend on the pile or depth of the carpet I'm sure, mine was pretty standard I dunno, 3/8 or 1/2 inch pile and it was pretty bad even if I vacuumed alot. If yours is a nice short pile that isn't going to hold onto the dust this might be a non-issue for you.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shank View Post
    My last shop had carpeting in it and was perfectly workable. That said, if I had the choice I wouldn't have it.
    Pros- easy on the feet, especially with padding.
    Cons- gets dirty quick and looks like it, I guess different pile carpets would be better or worse, but the neutral beige I had was pretty ugly pretty quick.
    But a bigger issue than just looking ugly was that it held dust really badly. So unless you vacuumed really often and really well you'll be kicking up fine dust every step you take. Again, that would depend on the pile or depth of the carpet I'm sure, mine was pretty standard I dunno, 3/8 or 1/2 inch pile and it was pretty bad even if I vacuumed alot. If yours is a nice short pile that isn't going to hold onto the dust this might be a non-issue for you.
    Jon
    Your carpet sounds similar to mine. I'm going to put interlocking tiles around the bench so hopefully the dust and shavings I create will fall on that where I can clean it up easier instead of the carpet. I won't be doing large rip or crosscuts in here, that will all be handled in the garage. I'm going to be picking up a vacuum that will be dedicated to this room so I can try to stay on top of it. It won't be perfect, but I think I'll like it more than my uninsulated garage.