Thread: Old Table, and some leftovers

Old Table, and some leftovers

During the moving around to get the Microwave cabinet into it's new home....had to move the old cabinet out. The Boss wanted it out in the foyer....which meant the table that was out had to move...elsewhere. It wound up under a built-in bookcase in the Dinning Room....needed cleaned up, though....today it was worked over a bit ( will posy better pictures, tomorrow?) So..
    webs.jpg
    Needed to clear these things...gave them the "Brush off"...
    the brush off.jpg
    Had a bunch of "squatters" that needed to..leave. Was surprised the bread board was still intact..
    split.jpg
    That crack hasn't changed since I built this table, but in 2012......out of Oak and Sycamore barn wood...the top between the breadboard ends was one solid plank. tapered from 13-1/2" to 12" wide...Sycamore. Legs and aprons used to be Oak rafters...2" x 5"...with cut nails...Trim along the bottom edges of the aprons, were ripped from the edges. Aprons were resawn down to 3/4" thick. Legs were ripped into squares. Some even have the nails still inside.

Once the squatters were evicted, and things wiped down a bit....and a light sanding down, and wiped again...
    legs.jpg
    I had the table on it's top, so I brushed on the varnish starting at the feet, worked my way to the underside of the top. Left enough bare wood to get a grip, and flipped it up onto the feet.
    Some of the trim at the aprons were like a sponge...soaked up 4-6 coats...
    end view.jpg
    Trim was notched around the legs, and met as a miter joint...6 years ago. I was going to thin the bread board ends...never got round to it...
    IMG_6621 (640x480).jpg
    Those cracks have never moved. One edge of the top was a bit waney....
    side view.jpg
    Once this is dry...I'll move it over to that built-in in the background....
    Just some old Barn Wood...

Stay tuned...more to come..

Ok, the other part of the title says.."Leftovers"....Mainly Oak from that last project....some thin, or resawn thin..
    IMG_6624 (640x480).jpg
    Some square stock..
    IMG_6626 (640x480).jpg
    had a few that needed ripped down...more parts that way, instead of a few wider pieces..
    IMG_6627 (640x480).jpg
    Even ran a couple through on edge...to get a few more thin pieces..
    IMG_6629 (640x480).jpg
    And a panel..
    IMG_6628 (640x480).jpg
    Left over from the 1 x 12. Have a few pieces of Pine left over....

Have the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up working on Project Ideas for the Oak parts....maybe a fancy box, again? Or...maybe something else?

Monday the shop is closed....but, I can doodle a bit, do some research, and come up with something to use up the leftovers....otherwise, they be heading for the Firepit.

Stay tuned...( anyone want photos of the completed Table? )

SDC12274.jpg
    Plank of barn wood....from back when I worked out of a pole barn shop.