Thread: Sycamore bench

Sycamore bench

This bench is from a sycamore slab that used to be a table. I haven't put a finish on it yet, and still have to trim the feet.

I've been practicing Windsor chair joints lately. I love them. They're fun to turn, forgiving, and ingenious. I used glue on this, but I suspect it wasn't even needed.

The tenons into the bench are tapered and wedged.

I've been following Peter Galbert and have used his mirror technique for drilling the angled holes.

This project also helped me learn to use a lathe skew chisel.

I like these softer hardwoods. They're easier to cut, and plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Impressive turning skills Prashun...I have yet to get into turning. I know what you mean about “softer” hardwoods...they are a joy to work with for hand tool people. Mahogany is a dream, butternut like butter. I will keep an eye out for sycamore, and I understand sassafras is very workable also.

Blog Entries
    Great looking bench....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That, my friend...is one darn attractive table that's executed with excellence!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your work continues to improve in both design and execution with each piece. Kudos for taking on new challenges and being so successful.

Beautiful work. The dimensions of the legs are somehow more pleasing to me than most things in that style - are they larger than 'normal'?

Funny you say that, Jeff. I Feel the same way about Windsor styles. I wanted them a little chunky and less traditional.

I spent way too much time on this. The stretcher is 48” pong and posed some vibration challenges. I finished that with spokeshaves.

I also wanted an arched stretcher but was not able to get the parts to line up sufficiently.

I like this a lot Prashun. I agree with Jeff - like the heavier legs. The shape of the seat also caught my eye. The overall design resonates with me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks guys. I really love making these socketed joints. Galbert uses mirrors and bevel gauges to keep the hole true to the compound angle. Then you use a reamer and get a second chance to adjust the angle just so. Finally, if the tapers are off, the wedge fixes that too.

I should have tapered the feet more.

That scoop on the seat was an after thought. Again, I spent too my time on it. Originally I wanted a sharp v at the nadir, but I couldn’t plane it just so, so I switched to a curved scraper and just fared a reasonable round over there.

Great bench Prashtun - simple, elegant, looks functional with a comfort factor. Where will it go? Client? Your place? What room? And I see why it is important to flatten an entire bench from time to time. I have been putting that off for a while now and you may have shamed me sufficiently to address the situation. Or not.
    David

Finished

Enduro Clear Poly.

I wanted to keep the color as pale and natural as possible. No amber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outstanding!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...