Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworking as a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zara View Post
    Restoration looks good. Woodworking is a great hobby, and the reaction one gets from non-woodworkers from a job well done is typically better than money.
    AGree on both counts. I find both Zac's restoration and building things in my shop highly satisfying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I agree with Rod. That's doubly great! Well done Zac.

How did you get rid of the gray - just sand it out? What finish did you use? (I've never worked with Koa and didn't know it would gray-up like that.)

Fred
    Got out the gray with a lot of sanding. Initially tried to use a block plane and card scraper, but that didn't really work out. 1/4 sheet sander and by hand for most of it and used a dremel roatry tool with sanding spindle for the edges and inside of those curves. sanded from 120 through 1000. The finish in the picture is probably after the initial coat of danish oil. Never used danish oil before but I had some so I tried it out. It was the "fruitwood" color. The finished product was actually a lot nicer after a couple of coats of oil, then two thins coats of de-waxed shellac, and buffed with paste wax.

I suspect finish was never appliec in the first place, or just coated with oil or something. It had been stored in an open but covered carport for years.

I am with John K. When folks ask "how much would you charge for...……..", I invariably offer to do the work for free if they buy the materials and help out with the project, as long as it is not repair/restoration work. At the very least, it is my intention that they take the project home for the finishing phase that they will perform. The ones that are not interested in helping with any of the work are gently directed to seek elsewhere as I am now retired and have vowed no more cash work before building all the stuff I promised my wife over the last 30 years or so.
    David

I thought I was the only one that put off things for myself (and wife).
    I gotta stop doing that.
    Seems like both of us are always taking care of other's needs ahead of our own.