Thread: spiraling or texturing tool

spiraling or texturing tool

I have been thinking about getting one of these tools to add a different look to some of my turnings but have no experience with any of them,,i have watched you tube videos but my question is, which one actually is more versatile and can do the best job,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I have been thinking about getting one of these tools to add a different look to some of my turnings but have no experience with any of them,,i have watched you tube videos but my question is, which one actually is more versatile and can do the best job,,,,
    I have several Sorbys, a large one and a small one. Both seem to work equally well except the small one has a shorter handle which I prefer. The small one does not come with the sharp pointed star wheel which I use the most, but I think it can be ordered. I use a small custom made star wheel tool to put this type of texture on spindles, on the top three handles in this picture (the last one was with a Wagner knurling tool):

textured_handles_hunterIMG_.jpg

oven_stick_handle1_IMG_5747.jpg

The spiraling tools do work well but require a lot of practice to get repeatable results. Some woods make a much cleaner pattern than others. I don't use them as much as the wheels with the sharp points.

JKJ

I have two of the larger Sorbys and the smaller red handled one and all the different wheels for both types. I prefer the larger ones and use them as I learned from classes with Nick Agar. Look here for examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIbEQyTnrQ

I have the large spiraling set that comes with the texturing wheel. I use both so much that I built myself an extra handle so I can have a spiraling tool in one and the texture in the other. I also have a small copy of the sorby mini spiraling tool. It didn't come with the texturing tool but I use the edge of the spiraling tool all the time to do sort of the same thing. I would say I use the texturing tool the most. I don't know if you can see in this photo all the details I do most of these ornaments have some sort of texture created by one of those 3 tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only one I have is the large Sorby. I do not know how it compares to other brands.
    I do like the "carrier? tool rest?" that comes with it. The above video link did not show spindle work but I am sure there are some that do.
    Using the "carrier" and a little practice starting and stopping you can make a herringbone pattern.

Given my memory is bad I made up some sample turnings. Three for face work with 3/4 birch ply and used different angles for the various effects (if you flip the faceplate you can use both sides of your samples). I also made up a few 10" length spindle blanks. Helps me remember "about" what it should turn out looking like.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Buy a spiral tool, but make your own texture tool. Buy an old design grinding wheel dresser, $5 at Harbor Freight. Take out the stars and sharpen to a finer point with a thin cut off wheel or Dremel grinding wheel. Makes a great texture tool!
    IMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

Similar to Richard's I have also heard of folks using a tire patch rolling tool (about $6).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I gave up using the locking angle thingy that came with the spiraling tool. Maybe if I did more spirals I might us it. I like being able to rotate the tool between cuts so I took that angle locking thing off and it sits in a drawer.

Like John I do not use the "spiraling tool rest" most of the time.
    For patterns, like herringbones, setting at 2 on one side then 2 on the other (or 4 & 4, etc) insures the angles are the same. Pretty much guarantees a repeated pattern on spindles of a given diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Buy a spiral tool, but make your own texture tool. Buy an old design grinding wheel dresser, $5 at Harbor Freight. Take out the stars and sharpen to a finer point with a thin cut off wheel or Dremel grinding wheel. Makes a great texture tool!
    IMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg
    Richard, on your recommendation I bought the wheel dresser today. The stars have a bit of slop. I'm just wondering if you bothered to add some washers to help keep it lined up a little better? Also, I'm wondering if you ever just used a single star wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    ...just used a single star wheel?
    The star texturing wheels I use for my spindle work all have just a single sharply pointed wheel. More than one would change the look entirely. I haven't tried it but I suspect it could give more of a chewed look than intricate patterns. At least on the spindles.

JKJ

Thanks John.

I think that I'll take the dressing tool apart and set it up to hold a single pointed wheel and will save the other five as spares.