Thread: Coffee Table in White Oak

Coffee Table in White Oak

In the summer of 2017, a friend told me that his neighbor Gary wanted to give away some white oak. It had been sawed from a tree that fell at his previous home in 1974. Of course, I went right over and loaded it into my van. No sooner did I have it loaded than Gary mentioned that he was hoping I would make him a coffee table using some of the wood. What's more, he had several old 9 1/2" square glass aerial photo plates. Could I incorporate some into the table top?

Here's the wood in my basement, where it sat on my racks until this July.

Wood.jpg

When we got together to talk this over in July, Gary was rather vague as to exactly what he wanted. Based on out discussion, I made a full-size cardboard mock-up to put in his living room.

Cardboard.jpg

That forced Gary and his wife to make some decisions. Here's the result. I hope it is a little nicer than the cardboard version.

FromAbove.jpg End.jpg EndGrain.jpg

We wanted to include a bit of evidence of insect damage to the tree. It is tucked up at the top of the apron on one side, so it isn't in your face.

InsectDamageA.jpg

Very nice execution of the idea and bravo to mocking it up first with the "client" to be sure they understood the scale, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice table Jay. What a conversation starter for some visitors to your friends house! How did you fit/joint the plates to the table top?

Nice design and excellent execution.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Nicely done, I believe you created a quality solution. Honestly, I do question the rounded corners on the inserts, they seem to conflict with the overall design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Honestly, I do question the rounded corners on the inserts, they seem to conflict with the overall design.
    I agree. I was out-voted by my key adviser (i.e., my wife) and, more importantly, the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    How did you fit/joint the plates to the table top?
    Each plate sits in a rabbet on the underside of the top.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Note the gap between the plate and the sides of the rabbet. That's to allow for expansion and contraction of the table top (the frame) around the rigid glass plate (the panel). I added Space Balls to keep the plate from rattling around.

The plate is backed by white foam board. This provides good visual contrast for viewing the photo. It also provides a bit of cushioning.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

The foam board is backed by a thin piece of plywood, held in place by wooden blocks.

IMG_1782.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Very nice Jay!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Jay, well done Sir! I like your design/solution and execution!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I agree. I was out-voted by my key adviser (i.e., my wife) and, more importantly, the client.
    I get it. My wife, who was a woodworker and has great eye and sense of design, consults on virtually every design decision in the shop. She doesn't always "win" but her input is invaluable to me.