Thread: Large Supply of Yellow Birch. What to make with it?

Large Supply of Yellow Birch. What to make with it?

I have about 200 board feet of yellow birch in mostly 4/4. Is there a particular piece or style of furniture yellow birch is suited to? I was thinking maybe a linen press or a stepback cupboard. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps cradles or a quilt rack?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You can make almost anything from that nice timber...choose something you would enjoy building!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Powell View Post
    I have about 200 board feet of yellow birch in mostly 4/4. Is there a particular piece or style of furniture yellow birch is suited to? I was thinking maybe a linen press or a stepback cupboard. Any other suggestions?
    Hi Steven, yellow birch is lovely stuff but it is quite unstable. I suggest you joint and plane it in multiple steps over a couple of days while it gets the movement out of it's system.

B

As Brent noted, it is very pretty, but quite unstable. Even if you get it to plane up flat and straight, it does have a lot of seasonal movement and will still probably warp in usage. However you use it, you will need to have a design that accommodates a lot of movement and is tolerant of warpage. You can use it where you would hard maple. It has most of the same advantages and all of the disadvantages, but a little nicer figure.

It is best suited for a clear finish as it can be very prone to blotching. A seal coat of dewaxed shellac is a must, it even can blotch with straight poly.

It also can be a nightmare to hand plane, so maybe save your Neanderthal work for another wood. It does pair well with baltic birch plywood. In fact the desk I am typing this on I did in baltic birch with yellow birch solids.

IMG_6029.jpg

I have built small cabinets, rail and stile doors out of lumber that I cut on my mill. Had good luck with those trees. But I have also cut some trees that were squirrely.. advise above is a good way to test your materials. Plane it both sides heavy and let it set a day or so .....Dan