Thread: Bosch CMS brake not working 100%

Bosch CMS brake not working 100%

My Bosch 12" DCMS has been flawless since I bought it 8 or 9 years ago, though it hasn't seen heavy use. But yesterday the brake started malfunctioning, either not engaging immediately after I released the trigger, and a couple of times it didn't engage at all, the blade just slowly spun down. Anyone know what the likely source(s) of the problem is(are)? Thanks.

John

Sawdust in the switch?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Try blowing the dust out, but not directed at bearings, and hold the trigger for about 30 seconds, or so.

edited to add: I don't know about that saw, but I have a 447 circular saw with brake, specifically for cutting rafter tails, and that has gotten the brake operating again so far.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-16-2018 at 10:16 PM.

My Bosch Glide saw does that when I release the switch slowly, I haven't got s clue why and never looked as I know releasing the switch fast makes the problem go away.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

My Delta CMS starts to exhibit that behavior when things get dusty and/or the brushes start to get worn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the input. I blew out the on/off switch (not much came out, but I didn't disassemble it) and the motor after removing the brushes (quite a bit came out) and now it seems to run fine again, whether I release the trigger quickly or slowly. We'll see how long it lasts. FWIW, the brushes themselves looked great.

John

The brushes may look great but how much shorter are they then when they were new. As they wear the spring doesn't hold them as well. Short brushes are a cause of brake failure.
    Richard