Thread: Oneway Chuck Spur

Oneway Chuck Spur

Hello, Does anyone know if the Oneway 1" Chuck Spur will only fit in a Oneway chuck or would it work with a Vicmarc 120 chuck? It would seem like it should but hey that's why I'm asking. Hopefully someone would know. Thanks for your help.
    Please ignore this post It's the 1/2" spur drive I'm looking for and not a 1" drive. I want to start off-axis turning and I need a smaller spur drive when using a smaller spindle size. i"ve looked everywhere and I can't find one. Anyone have a 1/2" spur drive they'd like to sell?
    Last edited by MICHAEL YASKO; 10-16-2018 at 9:13 PM.

Michael I have the ½” spur drive from thee Taig lathe, (no I don’t want to sell mine, as I occasionally do use it’

Lee Valley sells it, but you might be able to get from a Taig lathe seller closer by.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...330,50260&ap=1
    Have fun and take care

I have the oneway chuck spur and the Big Bite. They both fit in my supernova chucks fine. Not sure if that means they are compatible with all chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL YASKO View Post
    It's the 1/2" spur drive I'm looking for and not a 1" drive. I want to start off-axis turning and I need a smaller spur drive when using a smaller spindle size. i"ve looked everywhere and I can't find one. Anyone have a 1/2" spur drive they'd like to sell?
    Our friend Brian Horais, who turns and teaches off-axis turning, recommends a 5/8" 4-prong drive center. Hurricane has one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Tur.../dp/B079HJCCRX

PSI sells a 5/8" 2-prong but I think I'd prefer the 4-prong.

I see some offer a 3/8" spur center that might be good for very small work.

I have the 4-prong centers but for a bunch of years I've been doing most of my spindle turning, off-axis or on, with a #2MT Sorby 1/2" Steb drive center. It doesn't hold as well as the 4-prong but no catches, no problem. For the tailstock end, I almost always use a 1/2" Steb live center. These are not cheap but I won't leave home without them.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...n-Drive-Center

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...volving-Center

Darlow_peeling.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-17-2018 at 8:24 AM.

Thanks Leo Van Der Loo, I checked that out and probably the only 1/2" one I'll find, was hoping for a MT rather than a collet. I have a 3/8" but mayne have to settle for the 5/8" since it's widely available.

I have a supernova chuck as well but I meant the 1/2" and not 1" . Thanks though, that's good to know.

Hi John, I have a 3/8" but looks like I may have to settle for the 5/8". I prefer the 4 prong as well. The 1/2" was the one Barbra Dill uses and recommends but she said they no longer make it, can't remember which brand it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL YASKO View Post
    Hi John, I have a 3/8" but looks like I may have to settle for the 5/8". I prefer the 4 prong as well. The 1/2" was the one Barbra Dill uses and recommends but she said they no longer make it, can't remember which brand it was.
    Looking at the 5/8" one I have, I don't think it would take much effort to grind the tip down to 1/2": turn at low speed in the lathe and use a grinding wheel in a Dremel.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Looking at the 5/8" one I have, I don't think it would take much effort to grind the tip down to 1/2": turn at low speed in the lathe and use a grinding wheel in a Dremel.

JKJ

Thats a good idea John but I found one finally on Packards site. They have 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 under there there Mini 4 prong drive centers. I don't know how I missed that before. All is well now.