Thread: Cleaning and Handling Acrylic

Cleaning and Handling Acrylic

What methods are you using for cleaning and handling both engraved and cut cast or extruded acrylic?

I am finding that due to using oily cleaning products on my other items, even after washing my hands, I can leave fingerprints while handling the acrylic. Do you handle your acrylic while wearing white cotton gloves or handle it with microfiber or cotton towels?

What products do you use for cleaning acrylic?

I have been using an old bottle of Novus #1 and find it sometimes hard to remove fingerprints or any residue caused from cutting. (Maybe because the bottle is 10 years old?) I spray the cleaner on cotton towels and then follow up with a microfiber cloth. I found using paper towels can cause fine scratches. I haven't tried polyester cloths yet... was hoping to find some locally but will have to order online.

Has anyone had good success with Brillianize or other brands?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Anything containing a solvent will cause crazing of an laser cut edges. I found the the Sprayway glass cleaner from Costco works, but I try to handle acrylic by the edges as much as possible to avoid the extra work of cleaning. I don’t have any residue from cutting by placing transfer tape after engraving and before cutting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I leave the paper on while engraving, then peel and weed and polish with microfiber cloths. If needed I use DNA on cast acrylic and on laminated plastic. I do use nylon (not cotton) gloves for certain jobs. Nylon because they fit better and are washable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

IIRC Brillianize has been around a lot longer than Novus, it's good stuff- right now I'm using Novus #1 since someone gave us some awhile back, also good stuff- to me the two are pretty much the same. However, they will break down over time, had some Brillianize go 'flaky' on me, and it got to smelling pretty weird. The Novus never fails to remove fingerprints. Terry or microfiber towels work pretty much the same for me, terry works better at absorbing.

You might try some Novus #2, it's not liquid but it works fantastic at removing fingerprints, glue residue, etc..

I have HF nitrile gloves everywhere, and they're great for handling plastic, as long as you don't eat french fries with them first
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the replies. I have Novus #2 and #3 too, but all the bottles are over 10 years old now. I'll pick up some new cleaner. I bet they have lost their cleaning power. Sprayway has been good for me too, but it doesn't seem to have the anti-static capabilities as the Novus.

I found my engravings were not as nice if I leave the paper on. There seems to be a bit of glue residue that leaves the engraving uneven. I will cut with the paper on, then peel the paper for engraving to produce a clean, even look.

As for the french fries.... that's why the dog hangs out in the shop. She can lick greasy fingers clean.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

For cut cleaning, I've tried everything, cleaners like Windex or Fantastic are useless. I've used DNA, Naphtha, mineral spirits, but I've decided my go-to cleaner is turpentine. DNA works about 2/3 as well, but attacks the top-colors of engraving laminates. DNA will take the yellow off Duets faster than you can gripe about it. Mineral spirits works, and smells better, but only works about 1/2 as well as turpentine. Naphtha works well too, but again not quite as well. Turpentine gets the edge guck off quicker, and you rub hard over laminates to remove soot and stuff and I've never had it remove color. It also takes forever to evaporate, which helps it work, and the rag doesn't need a reload as often. Speaking of rags, best thing I ever found is Kimberly-Clark Wypall's...

If only turpentine didn't stink
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

For cast and mirrored acrylic I use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol with a soft microfiber cloth to clean off finger prints. The fluffy microfiber cloths from WalMart and some of the grocery chains seem to be the best. Novus#2 or #3 works to remove light scratches or heat wave marks that won't come off with the alcohol, make sure you keep the rags separate....as the Novus Scratch Remover will dry on the rag and become abrasive the next time you use it. I prefer the isopropyl alcohol to the Novus #1 Polish for removing fingerprints as it dries quicker.

Thanks for the tip on the Isopropyl Alcohol. I have a bottle in the medicine cabinet. I'll give some a try! When it comes to peeling the protective tape off the acrylic, I can't help but get fingerprints on it. Maybe I'll switch to some light cotton cloves and a plastic scraper to peel the paper instead of my fingernail.