Thread: Stainless steel/annealing/deep engraving

Stainless steel/annealing/deep engraving

I’m trying to learn all the possibilities of my 30w fiber laser. I have figured out annealing but I don’t like that the black color seems to disappear when the metal is turned in different angles. However, it sure is easier than deep engraving, sanding and then inking!! Is there anyway to make the annealing less reflective and stay very black looking at it in all angles? I’m thinking probably not but you guys are very knowledgeable and helpful and if it’s possible, I’ll bet someone on here knows!
    Thanks, Marianne

I was having the same issues with mine on polished SS, finally decided thats the way it is. So I purchased satin finished SS to engrave on. I tried sandblasting to tone down the shine but did not like the look. Perhaps others will have suggestions.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, did that help when you switched to a satin finish? That might be just where I’m headed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne Rusche View Post
    Bill, did that help when you switched to a satin finish? That might be just where I’m headed!
    Yes it did. Do some Google searches or on Amazon. I am selling my Fiber laser so I am kind of out of the loop.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks Bill!

To me, annealed black looks similar to a hologram, and that's how I sell it Every sword maker in town has been finding me lately, and I have some annealed samples around, and sometimes I engrave a sample on their piece (name under the handle maybe) - in my garage or basement with reasonable dark walls and ceiling, stainless, especially polished, reflects the background, and all the florescent light tubes-- this 'washes out' the black. The trick is to show it off in a well lit room with white walls, like most homes, or take the piece outside. Most customers like the 'fade' effect, as well as the fact a sword (for example) mounted on a wall will usually be viewed at or near eye-level.

I've also been trying to sell people on the bright 'frosted' etching, especially on bright stainless, for the same reflection reasons above. Whereas black (Cermark too) can get lost in the background reflections, frosted etching drowns out the dark backgrounds...

A trick a couple of customers really like, is where I do frost engraving, then wobble an annealed black outline around it, looks very nice, and unique. Note that you need to offset the hatch inward from the wobbled outlines, because the bright will wash out the dark, whether engraved before or after the annealing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    To me, annealed black looks similar to a hologram, and that's how I sell it Every sword maker in town has been finding me lately, and I have some annealed samples around, and sometimes I engrave a sample on their piece (name under the handle maybe) - in my garage or basement with reasonable dark walls and ceiling, stainless, especially polished, reflects the background, and all the florescent light tubes-- this 'washes out' the black. The trick is to show it off in a well lit room with white walls, like most homes, or take the piece outside. Most customers like the 'fade' effect, as well as the fact a sword (for example) mounted on a wall will usually be viewed at or near eye-level.

I've also been trying to sell people on the bright 'frosted' etching, especially on bright stainless, for the same reflection reasons above. Whereas black (Cermark too) can get lost in the background reflections, frosted etching drowns out the dark backgrounds...

A trick a couple of customers really like, is where I do frost engraving, then wobble an annealed black outline around it, looks very nice, and unique. Note that you need to offset the hatch inward from the wobbled outlines, because the bright will wash out the dark, whether engraved before or after the annealing...

Yes that is so true, it really is like a hologram! That is a great analogy! I sell pet tags and jewelry and I’m just not sure that the annealed look would be something my customers would like! I’m going to try a few pieces and see what happens. Right now, I deep engrave on aluminum, then sand and smooth out any slag, then use a patina ink to blacken the letters. I’m really trying to find a way to eliminate the polishing and inking. Annealing is such an easy process but I just wish it wasn’t so reflective. Your idea of frosting and doing an annealed outline is interesting! I will give that a go and see how that might look on jewelry or tags.

Coming from only doing metal stamping, I couldn’t wait to use this laser. I never dreamed it would have so many variables. Each process I learn seems to come with its own issues. I really think annealing is the closest I have come to achieving a good easy result. Maybe my customers will be ok with a bit of reflection on the piece. Guess I will just have to find out!! Thanks!