Thread: Mobile base for Grizzly G0495X

Mobile base for Grizzly G0495X

Hello,
    I'm thinking about purchasing this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...Readout/G0495X

It does not come with a mobile base and looking at the commercially available options, I can't seem to find one that will hold the weight (~600lbs) and be long enough (46x15). Does anyone have this jointer or a similar model and have a mobile base for it?

Of course I answered my own question just after posting this. Looks like this will do the ticket: https://www.rockler.com/htc3000-universal-mobile-base

Still would love to hear what others have used.

I have ordered some from Grizzly. Have one on my shaper, another on the wide belt sander. Plenty strong.

Jim, the Grizzly variant is not large enough for the base of the planer.

IIRC, Grizzly sells extension arms for their mobile base. I have this planer and it’s on a Griz (or perhaps Shop Fox- same thing) base.

I had to raise it by putting some blocks in the corners so that the dust collection would have clearance on the outfeed end. I just used some small 2x4 scraps to raise it and it’s plenty stable.

Edit: Just noticed this is the 8”. I have the 12”. You may not need to raise it, I don’t know.

Did you end up getting the jointer?
    If so, how do you like it?
    I am looking at getting the same one.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post
    Did you end up getting the jointer?
    If so, how do you like it?
    I am looking at getting the same one.
    Thanks
    Steve,
    Yes I did and its a workhorse, I like it a lot. The digital readout is useless because its battery powered and after the batteries died I didn't bother putting new ones in because I just don't use it (my jointer stays at one depth at all times). For me, the jointer as a whole is a set it and forget it type of operation, so it has not budged from where i initially set it and it does a great job. contrary to popular belief though, in some woods, you still need to be mindful of grain direction because it does get some tearout if you aren't careful, which is my only complaint. I wonder if a true shelix head would solve this, but such is life.