Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating/Sharpening Negative Rake Scraper

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    There is an interesting video by Eric Loffstrom and Jimmie Allen of Boxmaster Tools who will be taking over D Way tools from Dave Schweitzer in January.
    What? Is Dave retiring and selling D-Way? What's going to happen to Dave's product line?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    What? Is Dave retiring and selling D-Way? What's going to happen to Dave's product line?
    Basically nothing.
    Dave is retiring and Jimmie is a very good friend of Dave. Dave mentored Jimmie thru starting his BoxMaster line of tools. My understanding is Dave approached Jimmie about buying the business. If anything the fit and finish will go up as, well, Jimmie is even more ah, anal, about quality then Dave is (full disclosure, both are friends close enough we go out to dinner with both of them and their wives, Ellen works in Jimmie's booth and had her beaded vessels on display in Dave's booth, to help show what Dave's beading tools do)

Dave is in his 70's and both his and Lou's health is not what it once was. Jimmie's wife Cindy will be retiring soon and will handle most of the business end of things (Cindy is an IT geek for the Navy)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Jimmie got baited and trapped.....According to him, he wanted a special grind and Dave made him an offer of "buy 20 and get them for half price, which means if you sell 10, you get them free...." or some thing like that..... The Devil made me do it the first time, the second time I did it on my own...... Dave will be demonstrating at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium in March...

robo hippy

Thumbs up Creating/sharpening Negative Rake Scraper

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I think I touch on it in my sharpening video, but still need to do a video just on the NRS. Main thing for using the grinder burr is that you sharpen the top side, the one you will be cutting with first, then sharpen the bottom second so you raise the burr on the first side. There is an interesting video by Eric Loffstrom and Jimmie Allen of Boxmaster Tools who will be taking over D Way tools from Dave Schweitzer in January. They use a 70/30 or so grind, and sharpen the bottom bevel up side down, so at about minus 20 degrees. I will see if I can find that link.

Here it is... it is a commercial kind of, but shows a lot of technique...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsatMuK1Ei8&t=7s

robo hippy
    Robo, I watched the video from the youtube mentioned in your post. I bought one................I was amazed at how smooth the cut was. This was money well spent. Thanks for your contribution on this thread. JayMullins

I'm pretty good at judging angles but I bought one of those cheap Home Depot (General) digital angle finders. They are accurate to .3 degrees. I haven't tried it on a scraper to see if it would work but it should. It certainly would help those who are not an expert make repeatable grinds once you figure out what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I'm pretty good at judging angles but I bought one of those cheap Home Depot (General) digital angle finders. They are accurate to .3 degrees. I haven't tried it on a scraper to see if it would work but it should. It certainly would help those who are not an expert make repeatable grinds once you figure out what works for you.
    I make plastic things for various angles to set the platform as I want it.

This pictures shows some on the left and using the top one to set the grinder to sharpen hand scrapers at 90 deg. I use the right half of the bottom one for my curved negative rake scrapers.

_scrapers_hand_comp.jpg

JKJ