Thread: The Nefarious Lock Miter

The Nefarious Lock Miter

Having struggled for many years using a lousy router table with dodgy height adjustment and many test cuts per setup, I am on the verge of buying a Jess-Em lift with the table top and fence.

That has set me pondering also buying a lock miter router bit, as previously this would have been nigh impossible to set up.

I make quite a few miter-style joints, either reinforcing them with keys or splines (or not -- depending on the size and anticipated use), so I am only interested for the pleasure of novelty.

With all the micro-adjustment available in the lift / fence system of a quality router table/lift, does it seem I am still just pursuing frustration in this direction?
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

Try going to the Infinity tools website. Look up their video on lock miter bits and the jig they sell for setting it up (Invented by a Creeker).

Very informative.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I can't comment on the router bit, however I use a glue joint cutter in the shaper for that and find that it works very well.

I normally use that joint for leg glue-ups for Arts and Crafts furniture.........Rod.

The lock miter gives people fits to set up. Once you "figure it out" though, it's pretty easy.
    I have the Infinity Lock miter setup jig. It will get you very close. Close enough actually. A dial indicator and a vernier caliper will get you the rest of the way. I used the dial indicator method for a long time before I saw the Infinity jig.
    I've never made an end grain joint with it. I've only ever used it for edge joints like Rod.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Try going to the Infinity tools website. Look up their video on lock miter bits and the jig they sell for setting it up (Invented by a Creeker).

Very informative.
    And that set up jig works. I set my bit up on the first try, I was amazed.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

With the Jessum lift, Infinity Jig and router bit, it'll take you about 2 or 3 test cuts and then you'll be in production making beautiful lock miter joints.

The micro adjust makes it so easy.