Thread: Oct. 5th Estate Sale

Oct. 5th Estate Sale

Attended an Estate Sale here locally on the 5th of this month. The House portion of the Sale was fairly normal, that is to say, organized; the Garage where the bulk of tools were was another story. It was like sardine city in terms of the stuff they were selling, people were literally climbing on/over stuff to get to items they wanted, nothing was priced, you couldn't find a place to lay anything you had already "claimed" to look at another piece.
    I bought two handsaws both of which I think are Disston. I say think because all I have to go on with one saw is the medallion. Haven't had time to tackle the plate and see if there is anything left of an etch. I don't hold out a lot of hope. It is pretty dark. Here are a couple pics of the better condition saw.
    There is a step-down on top of plate but no nib. The saw plate measures 26 1/4" @ tooth line.
    There is a 6 stamped M.O.L. in regular location except it is almost off the plate even though the plate measures
    approx. 7 1/4" @ heel.
    I need to go back and try to "even out" the residue staining of more than rust removal agent used.
    Also I am having a little trouble matching up the medallion on the Disstonian Site to the one I have.
    Paid $8 for the two saws and $15 for a #35 Stanley Transitional Plane. That will have to be later on while
    I try to correct a fairly major missed flaw in the plane on my part. I have two excuses: the thing was major covered up with cobwebs and I had never seen one at a sale around here this close to complete
    so I got all fired and bought before thorough looking. Whadda think? D-12, 112?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Hutchison; 10-16-2018 at 3:07 PM. Reason: omitted word

The saw you show is definitely a mid 1880s era Disston #12. Very desirable and in great shape. A saw like that might go for $300-400 properly sharpened and set. Excellent score!

Thanks Pete

Can't ask for faster reply time or a more knowledgeable source of info.
    I kinda of neglected to include in OP that along with the missing nib
    saw is also missing 3 teeth. Big Deal? Not Big Deal?
    By the way, can I assume that if there is step down there should be a nib?
    Sorry for really dumba** question/s
    Thanks again for your reply

Picture of the "step down" would be helpful. Disston did make saws which had a curve where the nib would be, but no nib. They are relatively rare. As for the teeth, it all depends on the type of saw and where they are. A rip saw with 3 missing teeth in the middle of the blade would be problematic. Cross cut with missing teeth here and there is no big deal