Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-project Downtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Derek is the main reason why I think all Aussie's are giant, muscled up, fire breathing Macguyver's.
    That, and foster's commercials.
    Yeah, don't mess with me!

Regards from Perth

Derek

You have to respect a man that shoves the dreaded Dreadnaught around, don't you? I bow to the Dreadnaught Master.
    David

Hmmmp...well, my latest project is done....I cleared the top of the bench...and scrubbed it down a bit..
    IMG_6530 (640x480).jpg
    Using this Stanley #70...
    IMG_6531 (640x480).jpg
    It doesn't bother it in the least if a nail or other pieces of metal are found...usually, it just drags them right out...Had an issue down around a couple knots
    IMG_6532 (640x480).jpg
    Issue resolved. Not sure IF there is enough room to run the next plane around..
    IMG_6533 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No.8 Type 7. let alone the other big jointer..
    IMG_6535 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 31....looks HUGE? But,
    IMG_6536 (640x480).jpg
    Only 24" long, and a 2-3/8" wide iron....not much difference from the #8..
    IMG_6537 (640x480).jpg
    Been putting away the toys..er....TOOLS as I go...have an inventory to do...of all the leftovers of Oak and Pine....might be a small project in there..somewhere.

After a big case was solved, Sherlock Holmes would go to his 7% Solution....hope I don't get that bad....

Will update as things go...Project will get delivered this week..maybe tomorrow? Then the "Down Time Doldrums" can set in, again...

I'm half way through a project but the rains have started - Canadian side of the Pacific Northwest and I learned the hard way to bring the portable tools inside.
    I'll be rust abating the mortiser, jointer and bandsaw, and cleaning up.
    Then it's off to the lumber yard for some pieces to make a small work bench to finish my project, in my basement.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Spent most of the other day....flattening the top of the bench.....found two small finish nails.....unable to grab a hold of them.....drove both down and out of sight....Top of the bench looked a bit "naked"....applied a coat of Amber Shellac...since the can was still out, and as was the brush. Been putting away tools ever since. Have a "junker" plane I could restore, the next time I wander to the shop

Grandson has been hinting about needing a new bedframe......unless he finds one he likes...guess who gets to build one that he does like.....

With all the rain this week......there may be a small creek running across the shop floor....we do live on a hillside...but the shop is in an old "fieldstone walls" basement....even still has the old coal bunker room. May make working down there a bit of a problem, until the weather/ground dries off. Or the ground freezes.

Taking a couple days off, to unwind from the last project....that was a bit more intense than I usually do....10 days? Need a bit of time to recharge...ME.

Bench, after the shellac
    IMG_6549 (640x480).jpg
    While some toys have been put away..
    IMG_6562 (640x480).jpg
    had to get one drill back out. Have a plugged up dog hole....dog is jammed solid, can't even drive it on through. Decided to just drill a new hole..
    IMG_6563 (640x480).jpg
    PEXTO 8012, 12" sweep, Samson chuck...

Since this is about what one does between projects......Normally, I just put everything back where they belong....sharpen tools as need be...
    defiance chisel.jpg
    Yes, this is a Stanley chisel...a Stanley Defiance 1-1/2" wide socket chisel...have it stropped at the moment.

IF there is an old, neglected plane in the shop..
    junker.jpg
    Since I have the "free time"...I can restore one to either like new, or even better than new.

Maybe set out what Pine, Oak, and other scraps I have left over...and look at a small project to use them up in.....

Right now, with all the rain we've had around here..there is a small creek running across the shop floor...heading towards the floor drain. Maybe when things dry out, eh?

Stay tuned, may do a photo layout of what I do to rehab a plane.....and NO, it does not take "Hours and hours", or as some think ...Weeks....Just involves getting one's hands dirty ( HORRORS!) and maybe a little elbow grease. Normal pace? From when a plane arrives at the shop....3-4 hours total. with one hour, maybe, spent on the iron...maybe a half hour on the sole?

So, stay tuned, and watch the rehab?

Hope the floor dries before too much longer..
    wet floor.jpg
    waiting on a glue-up to cure, right now...
    glued up.jpg
    Iron has been checked for square...
    square.jpg
    And it's back has been flattened...
    flat back.jpg
    Chipbreaker's "curve" was too flat, wasn't making any contact with the iron....Hammer and the end vise, "tap" down onto the curve, watching to keep it straight across...no cambers for this plane.
    hammer time.jpg
    About an inch below the top of the slot, iron was bent a bit. Same hammer to "flatten" out the curve.
    Jig was set to 25 degree..
    india stone.jpg
    Went from a coarse oil stone (Carb....?) to this 600 grit Medium India....then a 1000 grit oil stone.....then the green charged leather belt strop...
    flat frog.jpg
    Face of the frog is now flat. Frog rests on a pair of rails, on the sides. and on the front edge....have both of those "de-painted" ( thick, lumpy Japanning)
    seats.jpg
    Matching seats in the base casting were wire cup brushed clean, down to bare metal....frog should sit better, now..
    Stay tuned..I did spend 2 hours in the shop, last night...

About 1962 or so..Stanley was tired of hearing complaints about the "Whale Tail" lateral levers...so, Stanley began to crimp them down..

crimped.jpg
    For their secondary lines of planes.....makes this "Francken-Plane " a type 20 style.

Sole was close to flat...didn't get much use, I guess....took about 5 minutes or so to get this far..
    sole.jpg
    About the same for the sides...
    sides.jpg
    Sides do have a slight "toe-in" at the top.....not worried about it, as this won't be a "Chutting Plane".
    Bolts were wire wheeled clean...
    bolts.jpg
    To save me fingers, and keep these from going Airborne....a pair of Visegrips held on. I do have a Brass version, if I don't like the steel wheel. Wanted the "low" knob for an older #3 plane. Knob in the picture is a bit closer to a type 20....without being a black plastic thingy..
    insides.jpg
    Need to change wire wheel on the drill press....cup brush has trouble along the inside corners....need that last bit of paint removed. Then tape off what I don't want painted. then a few coat of Rustoleum semi-gloss black...to cover the de-rusted bare metal. iron is sharp, chipbreaker mated to it, frog tuned up, one handle being repaired. hardware cleaned up. Not bad for 2 hours? And two wet shoes..

What is your technique for flattening the frog surfaces please?
    David

sanding center.jpg
    That 6" disc. just about worn down to a very fine grit....find I can do the entire face of a frog. Same with the seats on the frog.

Thanks for the info Steven C.
    David

Plane is back in operation...
    pine shavings.jpg
    Found a better handle for the back end. There is a tall knob out in front
    better view.jpg
    Went with the brass wheel, instead of the steel one.
    IMG_6609 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    Same Oak test track as at the start of the rehab....
    IMG_6613 (640x480).jpg
    And, one of Pine....Might just be a keeper?

Same thing plus some wood turning. I give the shop a general cleaning. All tools that came out get whatever cleaning and sharpening they need and go back to their allotted place (kind of a mix of storage, planning on sorting it out more, ummmm soonish). And I'm also a wood turner, which gets done anytime but when I don't have a major project going whether woodworking or wood turning I'll take some time to do quick fun, immediate gratification turnings. Making scraps into mushrooms or christmas ornaments, etc, quick fun stuff. And if there's something that needs doing shopwise I'll try to take care of it whether it's flattening the bench, building a new jig/shooting board/bench hook/tool storage/whatnot that's worn out or needs to be made.

Jon

Inventory of the Oak Leftovers has been done. May do one for the pine, as well. May see what I can build out of the left over pieces.....be at least something to do....for a while?

There are a couple planes in need of the sharpening stuff...been a few projects for them...might be getting a tad dull, by now? have the supplies to do the sharpening in the shop, now..