Thread: Boot Sale

Boot Sale

Our local Woodcraft had a parking lot Boot Sale last Spring. It was successful enough they agreed to having another this Fall. I'm hoping they will continue with a twice yearly schedule. This Fall's sale will be November 11th, it's on my calendar and I have the day off.

I expect to offer a few large items as well as the usual small hand tools. I hope to rid the shop of several dozen hand saws, 20 or 30 chisels. I will also try to reduce my stock of dust collecting joinery planes and maybe even a bench plane or two. Marking gauges, what do you want pin or cutting? I haven't decided if any of my surplus sharpening stones are in danger. I expect not but it could happen. The large items will be mostly photos and I do not expect to sell 'em but showing a photo never hurts. Whatever, someday, hopefully soon, I wish to rid the shop of the table saw and the jointer. The two large items I will take to the boot sale are my prototype shave horse and the portable workbench. The shave horse works great but is as ugly as granny panties and the portable workbench because I need a surface to show and maybe demonstrate some of the tools for sale. I'll put a price on the bench in case someone is interested.

The shave horse will be priced to go because I want to make another (prettier) one and there's no room in the shop for two. The workbench I would sell if offered enough to make building another worthwhile but this one is close to perfect and I doubt it could be improved on in any significant way.

BTW, I'm sure I've told you how much I enjoy working on the portable bench . The folks that originally designed the bench knew what they were doing. It is pared down to the essence of "workbench". There is nothing extra but nothing missing and it is incredibly stable for its mass because of the design of the base. When I first built the bench I did not understand or appreciate the subtlety of the design I just wanted a small portable workbench and the Moravian bench is that. Only after working on it did I began to understand the art and knowledge of the original builders.

ken

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, maybe the closest Woodcraft up here could be convinced to do something like that.

Is this the best link to your Portable Workbench for others to see?

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?256635

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hmmm, maybe the closest Woodcraft up here could be convinced to do something like that.

Is this the best link to your Portable Workbench for others to see?

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?256635

jtk
    Jim,

This is a better link https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rkbench-Update

The Spring boot sale was the first for the local Woodcraft. I had pushed for one for a year or two. It worked well enough the Woodcraft owner wanted to do one this Fall. I hope we can keep it going.

ken

Ken,
    I seem to recall you saying you grew up out west, in Texas. But how'd you talk Woodcraft into selling Cowboy Boots twice a year? Is this one of those regional things, like green chilli burritos?

Just teasin'.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    [edited]

Is this one of those regional things, like green chilli burritos?

Just teasin'.
    Fred
    That is a big region.

Last night my evening meal was chicken chili verde over rice, yummy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is a big region.

Last night my evening meal was chicken chili verde over rice, yummy.

jtk
    You're making me hungry Jim! We went through New Mexico on vacation when I was a teen. When we were there, the green chillis were in season and they served it as a side sauce 3 ,meals each day. I can't remember the type of pepper they were but man they were good. I had the impression it was a New Mexican specialty. I guess the cuisine has caught on all over the place.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ken,
    I seem to recall you saying you grew up out west, in Texas. But how'd you talk Woodcraft into selling Cowboy Boots twice a year? Is this one of those regional things, like green chilli burritos?

Just teasin'.
    Fred
    Fred,

LMAO, I've spent too many years living with a Scottish Lass my Texan has been contaminated. We may both speak English but it ain't the same language and sometime the results gets me looks that could kill.

BTW, most likely you were served Hatch Chilies.

ken

Ken, if you now call a Crescent wrench a shifter, then you are indeed ruint.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Ken, if you now call a Crescent wrench a shifter, then you are indeed ruint.
    David,

Not quite that far gone but we do have a back garden instead of a yard and the motorhome is a caravan.

ken

Blog Entries
    You're making me hungry Jim! We went through New Mexico on vacation when I was a teen. When we were there, the green chillis were in season and they served it as a side sauce 3 ,meals each day. I can't remember the type of pepper they were but man they were good. I had the impression it was a New Mexican specialty. I guess the cuisine has caught on all over the place.
    My home before moving to Washington was close to San Francisco. Mission Delores is the oldest surviving structure in San Francisco. The Mission was founded as Mission San Francisco de Asís in 1776, an easy year to remember.

There is one restaurant locally that serves a passable chili verde pork.

The only thing that would have made mine much better is if there was any cilantro left in the garden. My mind was wandering during my stroll through the produce section of the Fred Meyers.

jtk