Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw for cutting metal

Bandsaw for cutting metal

I'm running into a situation more and more often where I need to cut thick sheet metal (1/8-1/4" steel) or thicker soft metal (3/4"-1" aluminum). Sometimes they are smaller pieces unacceptably small to cut on a table saw (on the order of only 2-3" wide). I was thinking of getting a vertical metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need). Googling "vertical metal bandsaw" returns nothing but shop-space pocket-painful results (ie., large and expensive).

I'm looking for options to get a bandsaw in my shop setup to cut metal. The requirements would include:
    -Inexpensive
    -Something I won't have to constantly argue with to use (I was considering a Harbor Freight 14", but afraid it would not meet this requirement)
    -9", 10, or 12".

I had a small Craftsman three-wheeler but the blade would not tension properly without falling off. I don't know if a better three-wheeler exists or if this is a common problem; so I would like to stick with two-wheelers is possible.

Of course, large is always better. 14" would be great, but don't know if I want to allocate that much shop space. On the other hand may be the easiest to get inexpensively.

If i try to convert a wood bandsaw to cut metal, what do you think it would take? I was pondering trying to resize the sheaves and/or change to a three-phase and a small VFD.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 10-16-2018 at 8:32 PM.

For the aluminum I have had acceptable results using an old wood cutting blade in a wood cutting bandsaw. I also have cut a lot of brass this way. Of course it wouldn't help with the steel part of your needs.
    Zach

Cutting 1/4" steel on a wood cutting bandsaw will require a major reduction in blade speed. Also wood cutting saws have rubber tires on the wheels so a warm blade will do that no favors. Isn't this what you really need? https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3970-Meta...D2R6EAKREB9T5D

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Cutting 1/4" steel on a wood cutting bandsaw will require a major reduction in blade speed. Also wood cutting saws have rubber tires on the wheels so a warm blade will do that no favors. Isn't this what you really need? https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3970-Meta...D2R6EAKREB9T5D
    No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need).
    I have used them before. In this case the horizontal bandsaw is the wrong tool for more than half of what I want to cut (1/4" or thinner sheet metal). Plus they are too big (too much floor space).

Back in high school, a friend and I took an old Toro 10" bandsaw mounted on an old Singer sewing machine base and geared it down to cut metal. I think we only had a 1/3 or 1/2 horse motor on it. I don't remember the reduction exactly but it was something on the lines of a couple of 10 or 12 inch pulleys to 3 inch ones. It actually worked surprisingly well. We used it on steel and aluminum. The shop I worked at in college had 24" Tannewitz that had a switch that would do fast (wood) and slow (aluminum) with the same blade.

As long as you get the blade speed, alloy, and tooth pattern right for the material, most bandsaws should work fine. The Toro didn't even have a lower blade guide, and I don't remember having a lot of tension on the blade either. The 12" Craftsman we had in the 70's was even offered with a reduction kit to cut metal. Unfortunately you couldn't switch between wood and metal without taking it off. Delta and Jet had wood/metal cutting 14" saws and Grizzly has larger dedicated metal ones that are sort of affordable.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 10-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Delta and Jet had wood/metal cutting 14" saws and Grizzly has larger dedicated metal ones that are sort of affordable.
    I looked at Grizzly under Metal Working Machines -> Bandsaws; the cheapest is $1600. That is about 10x above my price range (OK, maybe 8x).

The Porta Band hand held bandsaws are the best inexpensive saw out their for cutting metal. Harbor Freight makes a good one for a lot less money. There are numerous utube videos on making a table for them to support the metal being cut. They are nice because the blades are shorter then horizontal saws, and cost less.

I am aware of Ports Band saws as well. I have also used them to cut small sheet metal. Quite a miserable experience, only to be done when there is no other option. I'm looking to get out everytime being no other option.

I looked at Grizzly under Metal Working Machines -> Bandsaws; the cheapest is $1600. That is about 10x above my price range (OK, maybe 8x).
    I'd watch craigslist, garage sales, etc for any older bandsaw then. A 14" Delta style is ideal, but an older 10" or 12" can likely be had for cheapest and would probably work fine for your application. Gear it down with some pulleys, put a fine tooth metal cutting blade on it and and you are good to go. I probably will be doing the same thing in a few years myself.

what about a circular saw for metal, i am considering an evolution branded with the carbide blade. not an abrasive saw. I always used a saw similar to the WEN mentioned above for metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    what about a circular saw for metal, i am considering an evolution branded with the carbide blade. not an abrasive saw. I always used a saw similar to the WEN mentioned above for metal.
    I have a blade for my tablesaw. It gets a little dicey when the pieces are 3/16" thick and 8" wide. That's why I'm trying to find what is needed to convert a wood bandsaw to cut metal. Someone mentioned the bandwheels might me a problem. I'm looking for other issues. The smaller bandsaws use 1/3 and 1/2 horsepower motors, and I've been able to find a few 3 phase motors for sale in that range, new for ~$80 (I'm sure I could find less expensive if I looked harder).
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 10-16-2018 at 12:08 PM.

I am aware of Ports Band saws as well. I have also used them to cut small sheet metal. Quite a miserable experience, only to be done when there is no other option. I'm looking to get out everytime being no other option.
    Depends on what you want to cut and how much.

I use my wood-cutting shop bandsaw for small amounts of aluminum and brass.

I use a variable speed PortaBand fantastic for hand-held cuts on thick steel, angle iron, square tubing (need the right blade and the right speed). I use a Jet horizontal band saw for larger sizes, more precise square cuts and angles, and when I have a lot of pieces. (Mine, like most horizontal saws, can be used in the vertical mode with an included table. I use a reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade for a variety of cuts, especially in tight places, portable, small size, no setup - hard to beat for quick jobs. All of these are great for straight cuts but not too good for curves, especially tight curves.

These days I use a plasma cutter for most metal. It will cut perfectly straight cuts with a straight edge guide. It will cut circles and arcs with a simple jig. Tight curves and freehand cuts are easy. It will cleanly cut thicknesses in steel from sheet to 1/2". It will easily cut stainless steel which gives other blades grief. Very fast. I highly recommend it for most cutting.

For precision work, a real metal-cutting bandsaw would be my choice - slow speeds for steel, a variety of blades, and built-in welder so a blade can be cut and rewelded for internal cuts. Industrial quality, expensive, maybe find one used.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For precision work, a real metal-cutting bandsaw would be my choice - slow speeds for steel, a variety of blades, and built-in welder so a blade can be cut and rewelded for internal cuts.
    I never thought of the blade welder for that purpose. I would definitely use it like that if I had one. But I do a lot more internal cutting of wood than metal.

This is a home shop, so I have 'home sized' pieces, anything from 2x2 to 16x16. I don't think I have ever worked with a half sheet of sheet metal at home. Begin sheet metal and requiring (fairly) straight cuts. The Porta Band and horizontal bandsaws and don't work, and jig saw will work for the thinner material. None will work well to cut 1/4" steel and 1" aluminum. I have tools to hack these cuts, but it is becoming tiresome and, occasionally, dicey. Which is driving me to look for a better solution. I know a vertical bandsaw will do all of the above. So I just need to figure out what it would take to get one in my shop. My craigslist searches have revealed nothing for metal and a few options (mostly reliant 14") wood bandsaws. But I also need to figure out what is needed to convert from wood to metal (what ever it is, will hopefully be much less expensive and smaller than Grizzly's option).

None will work well to cut 1/4" steel and 1" aluminum.
    Have you tried a reciprocating saw ("sawzall")? If not, you might be surprised at how well it works. I use metal cutting blades from Milwaukee called "The Torch". They are wide for strength and to help cutting in a straight line. There are TPI options for a variety of thicknesses. I found they work fine for 1/4" steel if I don't have a lot to cut. For sheet steel it's kind of like a heavy duty jig saw. I used to use one for most of my steel cutting until I got the big horiz bandsaw and then the plasma cutter. I use a variable-speed saw at a reduced speed, sometimes with a little lubricant.

JKJ

I love the Milwaukee Torch blades. I (think) have a full set of 3" and 6" blades from 4 to 24TPI. I used them to cut a 1/2" steel plate to fit under my jointer to allow a power feeder to be mounted. 1/2" thick 12" long cut only took a few minutes. But unfortunately the straightness need to be achieved with careful use of an angle grinder. And I'm not sure this will work on a piece of 2"x2" 1/4" steel or a 1" thick piece of aluminum 3" long. It will be a little hard to get that big saw in there.