Thread: Dedicated Shop Space Blues

Dedicated Shop Space Blues

Is this you too sometimes?
    Being a guy who works mostly 6 tens a week and still wants to make stuff for family, friends and church, (which I do a lot of) one of the things I looked forward to the most about getting a dedicated workshop space was so I could go in, cut stuff, turn out the lights and close the door.
    Sometimes, after doing this for months, I'm like, YIKES, I can cut stuff, turn out the lights and close the door 🤯
    I really am looking forward to retirement and being able to be more on top of cleaning up.

Blog Entries
    I'm already slow enough. If I had to setup every time I wanted to work and tear down after, I'd still be on my third piece of furniture ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm already slow enough. If I had to setup every time I wanted to work and tear down after, I'd still be on my third piece of furniture ;-)
    I'd still be manufacturing the drawer for the 1st piece!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I admit, I do love having dedicated shop space. The wife was so jealous that we converted an extra bedroom to be her craft room so she could leave projects in mid completion, too.

One thing I have found helpful, and I developed it in college while working in a research lab machine shop, is to obsessively put tools back when I am done with them and always put all the tools away at the end of the day unless they are in mid set-up. It takes a while to get into the habit, and it can be hard to do when you are tired at the end of the day, but it really helps. Plus it keeps the workspace and the tools and you safer