Thread: Oliver 399

Oliver 399

I need to put it on wheels and plan to use a tractor to lift it, but am curious what the best way would be too lift it? Also there are 4 holes in the base to mount it to the floor, would it be safe to use these for the casters or should I put a welded frame under it and attach them to it? Thanks

I made a wooden frame and casters because I don't move or use it much. A steel plate and Zambus ( Carrymaster ) 1600-2200 lb casters are what I would do now. The plate may or may not be needed but the heavy casters adjust much more easily so I always use them even if overkill. I'd put wood blocks above the table put under the head and lift from there. Shim under the frame so you are not lifting the head. If you don't need a full frame you can lift under the machine, block it, and put on the casters on. Dave

I lifted mine with 4x4’s between the table and rollers (rotate the cutterhead sonthe knives aren’t touching) and an engine hoist. I also bolted 4x4’s through the holes at the bottom and attached casters to the 4x4’s.

Might help if we knew what is was so we can get an idea if it is top heavy. lathes and jointers tend to roll forward, drill presses tip any which way. table saws are fairly stable.

399 is a cast iron 18" planer. I think it weighs about 1200 lbs and is not top heavy. Dave

Thanks, and David where do you buy those casters?

Google carrymaster casters and shop for the best price. Check the dimension drawing and compare to the underside of your planer. You can order longer studs but i usually just put a bolt through with a nut from the top to tighten. Dave

Thanks for the info