Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill bits

Drill bits

Does anyone make a full set of drill bits where the lengths of the bits including the shanks are all the same length? I could really use a set from the very smallest in circumference to pretty large. Thanks for any help you can provide

Blog Entries
    What are you trying to accomplish? I have seen this in 6" bits. I will be interested to hear responses. Smaller diameter bits at that length are not terribly useful and large diameter bits 2" long have their place but, a full set?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

David

You don't ordinarily see that as the smaller the diameter the weaker the cost section, so smaller diameter bits are "usually" shorter in length.

I would give WL Fuller a call and see what they can do. Here is their website:
    http://wlfuller.com/html/catalog.html
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

You can find extension drills in most sizes but I have never seen them in a set.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Silver and Deming bits are that way 1/2" shank. But the diameters are just under 1/2 to about one inch diameter. designed for power drills before chucks were common. Used a drill holder instead.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You can find extension drills in most sizes but I have never seen them in a set.
    I have seen aircraft extension drills in sets but the ones I have seen are of the cheaper variety, usually, the quality ones are by the piece of lots of the same size.

I am curious as to the OP's need for equal length drills, I can certainly see a need for longer than jobber length small drills but I can't envision the need for equal length but I am not the most creative thinker...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Check with aviation supply houses. Brown tool and a place called the yard. I'm not sure you will find a set
    Dean

I have oak blocks that are 2” in width and 3.5” high. I want to drill equal depth holes to accommodate T-handle hex keys in both metric and imperial. It’s for a custom job and I was hoping that the T-handles would all line up equally.

sounds like a job for a drill press. move the table so that the bit is the same distance from the table and you will get equal depth holes with varying bit lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    sounds like a job for a drill press. move the table so that the bit is the same distance from the table and you will get equal depth holes with varying bit lengths.
    I'm not sure I get that. The smallest diameter bit length might only be 2" long and I need it to drill a 3" hole.

Blog Entries
    Google "long drill bits home depot" and see what comes up.

Call Carbide Processors and they will help you out.

Here is a link of one likely to fit your needs:
    http://www.carbideprocessors.com/sou...ills-style-20/

No trick at all to get drills with the same length for industrial use. Southeast Tool, etc all make them. They will be high quality and all the same length since they are generally used in boring machines that drill all the holes at once. Typical lengths of 5" or so. Also lots of companies make brad points in 6" length.

You can also get 6" drills very easily but they won't be brad point drills. Likely problem with them will be a short cutting length. They may be long but won't drill a deep hole. They are called Aircraft Extension bits and are available in 6, 12, 18" lengths.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 10-17-2018 at 4:42 PM.

what do you guys think about these? seems a little pricey but...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZZSV4K/ref=emc_b_5_t

So the reality is you don't need them to be the same length you just need the smaller diameter bits to be longer than jobber length, correct. If a 3" hole is what you need just buy aviation bits in the small sizes and the rest can be simple, cheap, easy to find jobber length.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Cut the bottom off oak blocks, drill the holes completely through the top section, then glue the bottom back on. All the holes will be the same depth.