Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CW-5000 Filled with Anit-Freeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If the new automotive anti freeze is corrosive someone needs to tell the car manufacturers that. Modern anti freeze contains additives to prevent corrosion and if you get the right stuff made for aluminum engines it has that protection also.
    It used to be very corrosive but when the switch was made decades ago to ethylene glycol that solved the problem.

Regards bleach - when I'm going to change water I use bleach to cleanup tube (for 2 hours circulation, just to clean pipes/tube) but WAY "thinner". From my research there is enough to use few cm3 per gallon of water to kill unwanted bacteria (If anyone is interested I can check exact values, at this moment have no access to database). Next I flush everything with water and finally use de-ionised water to fill the system.
    Red & Black KH-7050 / 80W EFR F2 / "24mm" head with lens 20/mirror 25mm / extended working area 720x510 | Foison vinyl cutter 2FT wide | Was working on Epilog, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, Graphtec, CNCs, laminators etc.

FWIW- I ran a 3000 'chiller' for over 4 years with my Triumph before I bought the 5200. I filled it with distilled water and ran it. At about 2-1/2 years in I added in a 25' length of coiled up copper tubing that I could set in a storage container that I could fill with ice water to help cool the water during the hot summer days. I added a bit of distilled water, enough to fill the copper tubing. When I swapped the 5200 in it's place, the 4+ year old water in the 3000 was still crystal clear, no algae, no smell, no bubbles, no nothing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    FWIW- I ran a 3000 'chiller' for over 4 years with my Triumph before I bought the 5200. I filled it with distilled water and ran it. At about 2-1/2 years in I added in a 25' length of coiled up copper tubing that I could set in a storage container that I could fill with ice water to help cool the water during the hot summer days. I added a bit of distilled water, enough to fill the copper tubing. When I swapped the 5200 in it's place, the 4+ year old water in the 3000 was still crystal clear, no algae, no smell, no bubbles, no nothing...
    Yes copper is one way to reduce algae, we used a chemical I think copper sulphate ? to remove or prevent algae in cooling towers. I use a 1/4 cup of bleach to 4 gallons of water in my machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Algae needs light, the silicone tubing that many lasers come with allow light to pass through.

I have been adding a couple ounces of bleach for years, I have not noticed any ill effects.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

My secret is to go to a fish store. I bought a few products, one for algae and another that helps keep the water clear.
    I figured if it's safe for fish it's safe for my chiller.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8