Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of really ugly tables

A couple of really ugly tables

I had a bunch of walnut sapwood that I felt bad throwing out.

Hence, a couple of really ugly tables!

The legs on the long table have a live-edge front, although it's hard to see given their size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The long one is nice! And the design of the one that could be called ugly can be blamed on the motel furniture people!

3. I like the round one too if you added a ring made with maple around the bottom. Say 1-2" up from the bottom.

I do not consider any of these "ugly". They might not be to some folks' taste, but they are well executed for their given design. Very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I do not consider any of these "ugly". They might not be to some folks' taste, but they are well executed for their given design. Very nice work!
    +1. I especially like the contrast on the round one.

Dan, can you please describe how you attached the legs to (both) these tables?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice use of sub optimal material!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Dan, can you please describe how you attached the legs to (both) these tables?
    Sure - the legs just have dadoes cut in them equal to the table top thickness, and glued together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Sure - the legs just have dadoes cut in them equal to the table top thickness, and glued together.
    Thanks! I guess it really is as simple as it looks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nothing ugly there, I like them and they are real eye catchers.

I really like the round one. Simple but it has some elegance and energy to it. Well done.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Distinctly different, demonstrates joinery but certainly not ugly. I think it's a great use of what could have been firewood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like them.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I don't normally comment, but I thought your leg idea is great and the execution was outstanding. I'm stealing your idea for use in a couple round, live edge pieces that I was having trouble thinking of a good leg attachment method. Stealing ideas is a form of flattery, right?

I think my modification for the leg is to drill a hole through the top of the leg, through the table, and into the leg below the dado. Then drive a piece of contrasting dowel to secure the leg to the table (and for a bit of "flair"). Thank you for a great idea and nice use of material.

Sorry to say Dan, if you were striving for ugly, you missed. Maybe next time or come on over to my shop and I can provide hands-on instruction in ugly. I wondered about a horizontal dowel run through the outside of the leg into the center of the thickness of the top, but maybe that would to be too "contrived" or something. Leave it like it is. Good stuff.
    David

I wouldn't want either in my house but I don't think they are ugly; in fact, the design and definitely the build quality is very well done. Hopefully, you or someone else can give them a good home.

John