Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mildew free wood for outdoor furnitue

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    Spanish (Eastern) Cedar is resistant to rot, mildew and insects. It does however, require a UV resistant finish unless you want the patina grayish look.
    Spanish Cedar (actually a variety of mahogany) and Eastern White Cedar are very different species!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I think Jim means White Oak, not While Oak :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    0\The toxic nature of treated wood is an issue unless the finished product is varnished or painted.
    No, it isn't. Don't spread misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    I think Jim means White Oak, not While Oak :-)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. James Morgan, thank you for the clarification and education on the cedar. I'm positive I read somewhere that Spanish Cedar was also called Eastern Cedar. I don't remember where. I did do further research and found you are correct.

On a side note, whether it's wood (trees) for woodworking or wood (trees and bushes) in my yard, precise info on what things are and how to take care of them vary and oftentimes the information is either hard to find or conflicting. It almost makes me wish I had and education as an arborist or in horticulture. I'm a pharmacist and I can say that there isn't anything I could tell you about a drug that you can't read for yourself on the leaflet provided. But this tree to my right, I know nothing about it and can't even find out what it "really" is.