Thread: Coming Documentary about George Nakashima

Coming Documentary about George Nakashima

The article linked to below indicates that there is a coming documentary about George Nakashima that should likely be of interest to almost any member of the SMC community. I know I'm looking forward to it!

http://www.buckscountyherald.com/10-...o-Be-Here.html
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The article linked to below indicates that there is a coming documentary about George Nakashima that should likely be of interest to almost any member of the SMC community. I know I'm looking forward to it!

http://www.buckscountyherald.com/10-...o-Be-Here.html

Thanks for sharing.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sounds awesome, Jim! I was in New Hope, PA a few years ago but had no idea the Nakashima studio was there. I tried to flatten my forehead many times after realizing I missed seeing it. I hope the documentary does justice to George and his daughter, Mira. I remember reading several years ago after her father died and Mira took over, orders dropped like a rock. But Mira persisted.

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out for it.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, I live about 6 miles "as the crow flies" from the Nakashima Compound. Professor Dr SWMBO and I had the pleasure of attending an event there a number of years ago that was to benefit the Michner Museum in Doylestown PA. (where there's a Mira Nakashima designed room dedicated to her father and you can touch and sit in chairs, etc., that he made with his hands) For our donation, we not only had a nice box lunch and discussion with Mira and her brother Kevin, but also a tour of the WHOLE facility. All of it. Every building. The normal Saturday tours only cover a few buildings; not all of them. Hint...the material barn where all the slabs live until they are used...IS. TO. DIE. FOR.

We were actually at a friend's house today that's about 1/2 mile from the entrance.
    --

Hint...the material barn where all the slabs live until they are used...IS. TO. DIE. FOR.
    Just seeing the pictures left me with that impression. I might melt actually being there.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the head's up. In the '50s and '60s, my Dad used to work in New Hope (plant engineer at Union Mills Paper just south of Windy Bush Rd) and since he was an amateur cabinetmaker, he went and visited George. Dad said he was very gracious and encouraging of my Dad's efforts...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Thanks for the head's up. In the '50s and '60s, my Dad used to work in New Hope (plant engineer at Union Mills Paper just south of Windy Bush Rd) and since he was an amateur cabinetmaker, he went and visited George. Dad said he was very gracious and encouraging of my Dad's efforts...
    My understanding is that George was very much like your dad experienced. I sure wish I could have been blessed to meet him and chat...at least I was able to score a copy of his excellent "Soul of a Tree" book which is often hard to find. I had forgot there was a factory in that area...things are very different these days as you can imagine.
    --

I had forgot there was a factory in that area...things are very different these days as you can imagine.
    Yes, I visited there a year ago for the first time in probably 30+ yrs, and saw that the plant is now condos. Glad to see they left the wing dam and spillway. Minor trivia: Did you know that one scene in "The Perils of Pauline" was filmed in that factory? Apparently instead of tying the ingenue to the railroad tracks, they tied her to the old water wheel in the bowels of the factory...and I believe the "girl tied to the railroad tracks" scene may have been filmed on the old Lahaska Railroad...

I wasn't aware of that, Jacob, but I have no doubt that the New Hope and Ivyland RR has been involved in film work over the years. (runs in front of my house as a matter of fact). Developers do try to repurpose historical buildings/sites when they can because it means they can get more money for things.
    --