Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most commonly used router bits?

Blog Entries
    Van hits the nail on the head. This is somewhat different for everyone but, I have all those bits and bought them as I needed them (along with many others) so if I had bought that Whiteside set I would not have failed on any of them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I kinda agree with most of the cutters on the list that Van posted as being "generally useful" to have. They cover a lot of bases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a set of Woodline 4 piece roundover bit set. That's the only set I'd buy again. I see their current set is 1/4" shank, the set I have is 1/2" shank. I have other sets where I've used maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the bits in the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I finally got my router table. What are the most common bits everyone uses? Instead of buying a bit every time I come across one I need, I'd like to buy a set that consists of the most common ones people use.
    A better decision making factor than other people's use would be your style of working.

If you decide what cutter to use by looking through a rack of cutters, having a rack full of router bits would be useful. If you follow other's plans, or work everything out ahead of time, two day shipping makes stocking router bits not worth it.

I get router bits to match what I'm doing, instead of making things according to what router bits I have, or can buy stock. Having the exact right router bit is worth the time to buy one, or get a custom router bit made.

Before I start a job, I list all the cutters I will need and make sure I have them.

Like some of the others, I think Van's list is ok. I use a router quite a bit, but don't think I've ever used a slot cutter. Makes me think because I definitely use strait bits all the time for rabbets, grooves, dados and mortises. Like some of the others have noted, a set of round-over bits is quite useful. I'm sure I use almost every size, every week. Chamfer bits also get used frequently. Many of these bits have a "useful life" that can be surprisingly short depending on a number of factors not the least of which is quality. Quarter-inch shank for lightweight, one-handed routing otherwise half-inch shank.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-17-2018 at 8:03 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Keeping in mind that I do a lot with hand tools, such as rebates, dados, grooves and dovetails ...

For morticing I want a 1/4" and 5/16" carbide upcut spiral bits. I do also have 3/8" and 1/2", but the smaller two are the common users.

The 1/4" straight bit and a 1/4" slot cutter are used for grooving.

A 3/4" spiral or straight cutter is available for dados.

The above are used in a 1/2" router.

A 1/8" carbide spiral bit is used for clearing the waste from hand cut dovetail pins. Used in a trim router.

Lastly, 1/8" and 1/4" round over bits. These are also used in a trim router.

Any mouldings, bevels or chamfers are shaped with hand planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-17-2018 at 8:29 AM.

The best advice I've seen for purchasing router bits (besides using 1/2 inch shanks) is to start with a relatively inexpensive set such as the MLCS set, so you have what you need when you need it, and then replace those bits that are used, as needed, with higher quality router bits.

The best advice I've seen for purchasing router bits (besides using 1/2 inch shanks) is to start with a relatively inexpensive set such as the MLCS set, so you have what you need when you need it, and then replace those bits that are used, as needed, with higher quality router bits.