Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most commonly used router bits?

Most commonly used router bits?

I finally got my router table. What are the most common bits everyone uses? Instead of buying a bit every time I come across one I need, I'd like to buy a set that consists of the most common ones people use.

I bought a set or two a long time ago, and most of the bits are still unused and I had to buy profiles that were not in the sets. I find it much more cost effective to buy what I need.

Wayne

I bought a set of router bits when I first started out. I have a bunch of bits that I don't use. The most common bits I used are roundovers, straight, and sometimes ogee. I have a tone of other speciality bits for cabinet doors and mouldings.

"Most used" is honestly going to be different for most folks because everyone uses their routers a little different. I would say that it's safe to buy a "small set" of cutters just to have a few things to work with but in general, it's best to buy based on actual need. If you want to build your own "startup set", a 1/4" round-over, 1/4" straight and a 1/2" or 3/8" cove isn't a horrible way to get going. A flush trim bit with a bearing is essential, IMHO, for pattern routing, too. That's probably what I actually use the most in my shop as of late. From thee, build your collection with what you need for your projects. For table use, I prefer 1/2" shank cutters regardless.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use flush trim bits a ton. Also I try to buy 1/2" shank bits whenever possible. Also, but Whiteside or another quality brand and avoid the sets for $30 type bits.

I agree that a large comprehensive set will have bits that’ll never be used. A set of roundover bits, such as the Whiteside 501 roundover beading set, is much more likely to be used. You can also get a set of straight bits that, again, are likely to be put into use as well. Other than those sets, buy them individually as need occurs.

Clint

Starting out to buy router bits is a bit (no pun intended) of the old catch 22. The cost per bit will be lower if bought as part of a set but the cost per bit actually used may be higher since as others have said many of the bits in sets never get used. One strategy is to buy a medium to low price set, see which ones you actually use and then buy the best quality replacement bits for those. A good way to start may be a used set of Craigslist.

You also have to consider the type of work you do. Are you rough cutting parts on a bandsaw and then cleaning them using a sander? Maybe a pattern bit and template would be better. Are you using a dado blade to cut dados for cabinets? Maybe a straight cut router bit may be an alternative. My most often used bits are roundover bits, pattern bits, straight cut spiral bits. I rarely use complicated edge bits like ogee.

I'm in the buy as you need camp because most of what I see in sets would never get used. I buy what I want when I need it even though it means I might have to wait until I can have it delivered or go get it. If I can use multiple bits and other tools that I have to make a profile I'll do that rather than buy a new bit. My most used bit is a 1/8" round over bit that lives in a Makita trim router.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    ... and avoid the sets for $30 type bits.
    ^+1 - I bought a used router and got the seller to throw in a set of 1/4" shank, Skil branded bits (~20). Most have never been touched, and the ones I have used are generally just shy of disposable quality. ...They'd probably be OK if your 'big' work includes pine jewelry boxes??

I'll add that if 1/2" shanks are just too big/expensive, take a look at 8mm shank bits. I discovered them working with a Leigh jig, and the increased rigidity (vs. 1/4") is confidence inspiring. Somewhat fewer profiles, but I find the increased life expectancy worth the compromise.

Straight and round

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I finally got my router table. What are the most common bits everyone uses? Instead of buying a bit every time I come across one I need, I'd like to buy a set that consists of the most common ones people use.
    Although my table saw supports dado blade I do not have any, yet, so all dados and rabbets are doing by routing with straight bits, actually I think router is a better solution for that kind of construction most of (my) cases. Round bits are also very used - mainly 6 mm and 12 mm.

Regards,

These:

https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rou...A1WO0LWTFI0BL8

I bought them a long time ago. Whiteside makes excellent bits, and all of those bits are useful. My guess is that Whiteside arrived at their selection by looking at what they sold the most of.

Michael

1/2" straight bits with top, and bottom, guide bearings.
    1/2" Spiral with guide bearing.
    A really, really nice high quality rabbeting set. Infinity makes a nice one.
    1/8", 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" round over bits with guide bearings.

A nice quality T&G set isn't a waste of $$$$, and is good to have at the ready.

I also see that in the past few years, router bits are available with insert cutters. Definitely something to check in to.

Don't buy sets. It's a waste.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-14-2018 at 5:07 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Agree that sets often contain bits that are never used.

Spiral bits up to 1/2 inch cutting diameter and several different diameter pattern and/or template bits are mostly used in my shop. Less frequent but “honorable mention” goes to a few straight bits.

4 sizes of roundovers account for 75% of my router use. Straight are much of the rest. Maybe I need to be more imaginative.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others, I pretty much bought them as I needed them. If you are looking for some basic bits, I use my selection of round over bits most of all. Next most used is my 3/8" dia up cut spiral bit. Buy quality bits to get quality cuts. Cheap bits don't last.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute