Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s baaaack!

It’s baaaack!

I sure missed SMC for a couple days!

What we thought was going to be just another storm turned into something else. Power was restored last night and Internet service recently. We have trees down all over our neighborhood and my yard is full of limbs, it will probably take me a couple of days to get things cleaned up. One of my neighbors trees fell across the lane and into our field behind my shop.

No major damage so we are thankful for just having a mess to clean up

Glad you came through it ok. I was watching that storm on radar - it looked like powerful remnants of Hurricane Michael coming through. Friend of mine near you said it was pretty violent.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I figured it was a power outage

I was also thinking power outage, but was worried about flooding for you given the river rise nearby. 'Glad you only have some "extra fall cleanup" to do!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad it was not worse for you. Guess I did not even think it could have related to the storm. Just for info where (state) is the server located?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

We're still without power and have been told possibly 10 days to 2 weeks. We had 115 MPH winds with gusts up to 125. House survived with minimal damage but several large trees to have removed. Cleanup on our property will take weeks.
    All in all we are fine with the generator. Took my first bath last night since Tuesday evening. Well water sure is cold but refreshing.
    Worst part is I had to cut a path to my shop to get tools to work with. No power means no turning time. Bummer.

Keith I am glad you experienced no major damage!

George....the server IIRC is located in the 2nd floor above Keith's shop behind his home in rural Hayes, VA.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Just for info where (state) is the server located?
    Hampton Roads, VA, near Norfolk...right in the track that Hurricane Michael took on its way north and east.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hope you guys have a good off-site or cloud backup of the forums. Would hate to loose all of the content here in the event you were hit with something worse. Glad you guys made it through safely and SMC is back. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Glad to see SMC up and running. At least my days had a bit more shop time.

Knowing the site server is in the area where storms were wreaking havoc gave me an idea of what was going on. In my area our landlines run through fiber optics. If a pole or two go down we might not have service for a few days. Even a catastrophic hit to the power lines is back up in 24 hours or less.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Keith any thoughts about setting up a Twitter account for SMC that you can post info to in the event of the next time there is an outage? Thanks

Chris,

That's an interesting idea, I will look into it.
    -----------------------------

There must have been a tornado that was very close to our house because a power pole was snapped in two on an adjacent street. I doubt 60 mph winds could do that much damage as it has never happened in the past here.

That would be handy, though I don’t use Twitter. Maybe a Facebook account, though I don’t use that either!

There are a couple threads over at woodnet asking what was going on but they just wanted to poke fun at the location of the server or if we didn’t pay the $6. Sounded like high school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That would be handy, though I don’t use Twitter. Maybe a Facebook account, though I don’t use that either!

There are a couple threads over at woodnet asking what was going on but they just wanted to poke fun at the location of the server or if we didn’t pay the $6. Sounded like high school kids.
    I don't use Twitter either but you don't have to have an account to read it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney